Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Rifled slugs and rifled barrels (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/rifled-slugs-rifled-barrels-101650/)

delutz 12-16-2013 01:50 PM

Rifled slugs and rifled barrels

I am certainly no expert on shotguns. Was thinking about buying a new barrel to replace my 24" field barrel, for home defense and possibly deer hunting( I'm in Ohio which only allows shotgun). Can I use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel? My concern would be the two riflings rubbing on one another. I am aware there are better rounds like the sabot slugs. But the question just came to mind.

GTX63 12-16-2013 02:13 PM

Corrected and reposted

Mercator 12-16-2013 02:21 PM

Rifled slugs are not made for rifled barrels. (I am guessing nobody meant to say they are). They may be fired from rifled barrels. The labels say "don't". I haven't had a reason to try.

eatmydust 12-16-2013 02:22 PM

GTX63 - I have got to disagree with you on rifled slugs being designed to be shot out of rifled barrels.

Saboted slugs are designed to be shot out of rifled barrels. Rifled slugs are designed to be shot out of smooth bored barrels.

When it comes to the safety of rifled slugs being shot out of rifled barrels, someone else will have to tackle that portion of the question.

SSGN_Doc 12-16-2013 02:54 PM

If you plan on using buckshot out of the shorter barrel I would go with a smooth bore.

John_Deer 12-16-2013 03:01 PM

I have shot litterally 100s of rifled slugs in a rifled barrel, they are safe. If you use low recoil slugs you could experience some leading. Magnum rifled slugs (1600 fps) will not lead your barrel. My shotgun shoots a 3" group at 75 yards with rifled slugs.

Sabots are awesome in a rifled barrel. The new bonded sabots equal a 45/70 in both knock down power and ballistics. Look for sabots that weigh around 300 grains. They are accurate to at least 150 yards. If you are good at holding over your target you can make 200 yard shots.

Remember the range of your weapon is not how far the projectile will travel. The range of your weapon is the distance that you can hit a paper plate in the position you are shooting from.

GTX63 12-16-2013 03:02 PM

Mercator and eatmydust, you are both correct. I should know better as I've owned and fired rifled and sabot slugs from my 870 and Winchester 97 since 1992. That was some kind of brain fart I had this morning and I appreciate the easy going responses you both gave. Just a little too much JD and fruity pebbles I suppose.

delutz 12-16-2013 03:55 PM

I did mean in a rifled barrel. I thought the rifled slugs were made as a substitute to a rifled barrel. So someone with a smooth bore could benefit from rifling using slugs. Thanks for the answer though.

robocop10mm 12-16-2013 05:40 PM

The rule of thumb, as previously stated, is smoothbore - rifled slug, rifled barrel - sabot slug.

Rifled barrels may give satisfactory results with rifled slugs, but rifled barrels and buck shot do not mix well. Patterns tend to be horrible.

The rifling on a rifled slug is not to make them spin. it is to allow a crush area for squeezing through choked barrels while maintaining a good seal. The hollow base/weight forward design of Foster slugs is what gives them stability

Seth_A7X 12-16-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delutz
I am certainly no expert on shotguns. Was thinking about buying a new barrel to replace my 24" field barrel, for home defense and possibly deer hunting( I'm in Ohio which only allows shotgun). Can I use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel? My concern would be the two riflings rubbing on one another. I am aware there are better rounds like the sabot slugs. But the question just came to mind.

Rifled slugs are made for smooth bore. The slug itself has rifling on it, causing it to spin. Sabots are made for rifled barrels. This is because the barrel is rifled, but the slug itself isn't. It is somewhat like how a rifle works. But hey, I'm just 14 so I'm probably not the most reliable, but this is what I know :)