Rifled Slugs - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Rifled Slugs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks a lot guys. Glad to hear I was over thinking it. Sounds like I have some more work to do with trying different loads through the different tubes.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #12

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

What a tight choke does do is deform larger shot such as buckshot and slugs, even large birdshot. Years ago Outdoor Life did tests to see how various chokes affected the loads shot through them. A full choke damaged more pellets than any other choke. I am not saying you can't hit any thing. I am saying that shot deformation increases the chance of an errant shot.

I killed my first deer with a 16ga single shot with a full choke. I shot him once with buckshot. That slowed him down enough to get the slug in my hand loaded to finish him off.

When I bought my Maverick 88 a friend brought his Belgium made Browning along for the try out. The Maverick 88 spanked the Browning with a full choke barrel. He went back home and got a skeet barrel. We went nip and tuck with the skeet barrel. The Maverick 88 has a cylinder choke.

What is more important than the choke is finding loads that hold a tight pattern or a slug that shoots well. There are claims that Remington Sluggers are over sized. I can't find any documentation but most deer hunters in this area believe so. My 12 ga Mossberg 500 delivers the best patterns with #1 buckshot. My humpback Remington delivers the best patterns with #4 buckshot, it has a full choke.

The way that I determine the best pattern is to average the distance between holes in my target. I do not count the number of pellets to strike the target.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-15-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
Because sabot slugs do spin unlike the rifled slugs
And how do sabot slugs spin, exactly?

Sabot slugs require a RIFLED barrel. period.

"Rifled" slugs have raised ribs that happen to resemble riflingto give them a "squash" factor to be safe in a variety of chokes. The ribs are diagonal in orientation to help prevent gas blow by in the barrel.

They are stabilized by their "weight forward" design. They naturally fly with the heavier part forward. The rifling has absolutely nothing to do with outside the barrel performance.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #14

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

And how do sabot slugs spin, exactly?

Sabot slugs require a RIFLED barrel. period.

"Rifled" slugs have raised ribs that happen to resemble riflingto give them a "squash" factor to be safe in a variety of chokes. The ribs are diagonal in orientation to help prevent gas blow by in the barrel.

They are stabilized by their "weight forward" design. They naturally fly with the heavier part forward. The rifling has absolutely nothing to do with outside the barrel performance.
He asked what the use of rifled barrels were and when shooting a sabot slug out of a rifled barrel they SPIN just like a muzzleloader bullet does...I never said a rifled slug spins in that comment