Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Rifled Slugs (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/rifled-slugs-76266/)

joehlson 11-13-2012 03:16 AM

Rifled Slugs
 
To the smoothbore experts:

I have searched and haven't found anything that exactly answers my question. First off, I have to use a shotgun for hunting on base, and a rifled barrel isn't in the budget at the moment, and after researching if I am limited to buckshot, then that's fine:

I would like the ability to use rifled slugs through my Weatherby SA-08. I have read that the IC choke would work fine, but I wouldn't want to go any tighter than that. My questions is, do I need to be concerning with the direction of the rifling on the slug that would potentially cause the choke tube to significantly loosen or unthread completely, or am I stressing over nothing? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

akers06 11-13-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joehlson
To the smoothbore experts:

I have searched and haven't found anything that exactly answers my question. First off, I have to use a shotgun for hunting on base, and a rifled barrel isn't in the budget at the moment, and after researching if I am limited to buckshot, then that's fine:

I would like the ability to use rifled slugs through my Weatherby SA-08. I have read that the IC choke would work fine, but I wouldn't want to go any tighter than that. My questions is, do I need to be concerning with the direction of the rifling on the slug that would potentially cause the choke tube to significantly loosen or unthread completely, or am I stressing over nothing? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

As far as the improved cylinder thing that is a myth...I use a modified choke for slugs and my dad has a gun with a 28" full choke barrel that cuts holes at 50 yards so try different chokes and see which shoots the best....and the question about a slug unscrewing your choke I have never thought about that before but I have never had that happen so I would say don't worry about it

phildenton 11-13-2012 04:18 AM

Ive fired slugs from my full choke 410. Extremely accurate, no problems.

c3shooter 11-13-2012 04:34 AM

Um- rifled slugs do not spin in flight. The grooves are to make sure that it will pass thru any standard choke. Not to make it spin.


The slugs are actually stablized by the weight being at the front- sort of like putting a baseball in a sock and throwing it- will travel ball first, sock streaming behind.

Will not unscrew your choke tube.

magnumman 11-13-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Um- rifled slugs do not spin in flight. The grooves are to make sure that it will pass thru any standard choke. Not to make it spin.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIL0bChyPk

The slugs are actually stablized by the weight being at the front- sort of like putting a baseball in a sock and throwing it- will travel ball first, sock streaming behind.

Will not unscrew your choke tube.

What is the point in rifled barrels then? I would assume that causes spin

racer_x 11-13-2012 04:38 AM

Thanks c3shooter

akers06 11-13-2012 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Um- rifled slugs do not spin in flight. The grooves are to make sure that it will pass thru any standard choke. Not to make it spin.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIL0bChyPk

The slugs are actually stablized by the weight being at the front- sort of like putting a baseball in a sock and throwing it- will travel ball first, sock streaming behind.

Will not unscrew your choke tube.

Good info after hunting with a slug gun all my life I still learn new stuff all the time

akers06 11-13-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman

What is the point in rifled barrels then? I would assume that causes spin

Because sabot slugs do spin unlike the rifled slugs

magnumman 11-13-2012 05:00 AM

Gocha. Thanks

Blueguns 11-13-2012 05:07 AM

Shoot slugs from a mod. choke, and you'll be fine.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:05 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.