Rifled barrel for Mosberg 500
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Rifled barrel for Mosberg 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 31 Posts

Default Rifled barrel for Mosberg 500

Is it worth it? I saw a guy at the range this weekend that had one and he looked like he was having fun with it. He got it with a scope for $160. I never shoot my 500 much and this would be a good excuse to bring it to the range. Any input on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

A rifled barrel and some good sabots can extend your range out to 200 yards. Accurately. I'd say it's worth it if you're a hunter. Not sure if I'd get one just to play with at the range though.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #3

Liked 48 Times on 31 Posts

Okay thanks and the rounds are about two bucks a pop right? Pricey

Old 11-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareebrownbeest View Post
Yup. At least. You can easily spend $10-20 a box for some high end sabots. Hornady SST's and Lightfields are about $11-13 a box and are some of the best out there.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #5

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareebrownbeest View Post
I wish, the ones I use are more like $6.25 per round with shipping.
But if you only need one five round box to fill your freezer I think it is worth it.

I use the REMINGTON PREMIER® CORE-LOKT® ULTRA BONDED SABOT SLUGS flat shooting out to 200 yds easy.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #6

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I get good results with Winchester XP3 and I have seen the Winchester Dual Bond in action. They both put deer down on the spot. The XP3 is a rifle bullet wrapped in a sabot, Dual bond is a more traditional slug in a sabot. To be honest for shots under 100 yards the plain ole rifled slugs work just fine. The rifling in the Mossberg barrel spins a Winchester slug in the same direction as the rifling on the slug. I don't know about other brands of rifled slugs.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #7

Liked 265 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Wow prices like that are why i started reloading.
With a lee slug mold($23) i can turn out slugs for about .25 each finished. Something to think about if you shoot more than a box or two a year.
Also the slug makes a great home defense round. Pentration is on the high side , but that only hurts those you shoot at.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 11-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Wow prices like that are why i started reloading.
With a lee slug mold($23) i can turn out slugs for about .25 each finished. Something to think about if you shoot more than a box or two a year.
Also the slug makes a great home defense round. Pentration is on the high side , but that only hurts those you shoot at.
You cast and reload sabots?

Old 11-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

Liked 265 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Yes, along with other more typical types of slugs.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load10-23-08.htm
If you want to know more about the process. This load throws a 500 grain 50 Caliber pistol bullet(or cast bullet) at 2250 FPS, and uses a plastic sabot.
All the lee slugs are technicallty sabots in that they use a trap wad to protect the barrel from the slug. I have reloaded Brenneke style slugs a few times and was disapointed with accuracy, probably due to barrel fit issues.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Slug-Loading-Manual-3rd-edition/productinfo/00MSLUG/
Is the manual if you are interested in the process. The company sells all the components

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.