Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   rifle scope on a 12 gauge (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/rifle-scope-12-gauge-92742/)

randy420 06-23-2013 04:12 PM

rifle scope on a 12 gauge
 
I bought my dad a tasco 3-9 rifle scope for his birthday. My intention is to put it on his 870 12 gauge slug gun. I understand slugs will bust scopes because they kick like a mule on crack. They have really improved scopes on how shockproof they are. The mounting base on the gun is a Weaver bolt-on rail which mounts on using bolts in place of the pins in the receiver. I am assuming the scope might survive longer with the bolt on rail compared to if it was mounted on a cantilever barrel. Help!

sniper762 06-23-2013 04:37 PM

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/013-1.jpg

never had any problem with mine...................shoots about 4moa

akers06 06-23-2013 06:41 PM

As long as it is a decent scope it should be fine I have a bushell banner on my 12ga I won't use a cheap scope on a slug gun I had the crosshairs break in a Simmons 8 point that was on a slug gun and it caused me to miss a huge deer

hiwall 06-23-2013 07:01 PM

one minor disadvantage is rifle scopes have the parallax adjusted to 100 yards+. I would guess most of your shotgun shooting is less than 100 yards. Doubt you would ever notice or care though.

randy420 06-24-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 1284503)
one minor disadvantage is rifle scopes have the parallax adjusted to 100 yards+. I would guess most of your shotgun shooting is less than 100 yards. Doubt you would ever notice or care though.

The new slugs that you see the commercials and stuff for are meant to be zeroed in at 100 yards unlike the old ones like the two boxes of buckhammers I have in the safe

Anna_Purna 06-24-2013 01:37 AM

....................

Anna_Purna 06-24-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akers06 (Post 1284476)
As long as it is a decent scope it should be fine I have a bushell banner on my 12ga I won't use a cheap scope on a slug gun I had the crosshairs break in a Simmons 8 point that was on a slug gun and it caused me to miss a huge deer

Agreed to the comments of if it is a decent scope it will be fine.

randy420 06-24-2013 01:47 AM

We got the scope mounted on the gun at about 2:30pm today. It looks great and I will post a photo of it tomorrow. Thanks guys!!!

Anna_Purna 06-24-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy420 (Post 1284869)
We got the scope mounted on the gun at about 2:30pm today. It looks great and I will post a photo of it tomorrow. Thanks guys!!!

Your welcome, ma'am. ;)

randy420 06-24-2013 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1284873)

Your welcome, ma'am. ;)

I'm a guy. @#$%


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.