Richland Model 707 Side-by-Side
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Richland Model 707 Side-by-Side

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Richland Model 707 Side-by-Side

I am hoping someone can help me obtain some information on this shotgun that I recently inherited. It is marked as a Richland Model 707 (20 ga.), but it is obviously Italian-made. I am not looking to sell it, but I would be interested to know its value. This gun has tremendous sentimental, as it belonged to my father, who recently passed away. This was the gun I remember him carrying when he took me out hunting when I was only 7 or 8 years old. In fact, this is the first shotgun I ever fired. My dad stood behind me, and when I fired, he caught me with one hand and the gun with the other (I learned a valuable lesson regarding keeping the shotgun snug against my shoulder that day).

I have attached some pictures for reference. One of the ppictures shows the underside of the barrels with the forearm removed. I assume the stars indicate the barrel choke ("full" and "???").

Does anyone have any information on this gun? Is there any other information you need from me?

Any help would be most appreciated.

img_3151.jpg   img_3153.jpg   img_3158.jpg   img_3159.jpg   img_3160.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #2

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

I had both a 707 in 20 and a 747 in 10 gauge, and I was almost sure they were Spanish made - so much for memory, but maybe mine was; they made have had different sources over the years. Boy that brings back some memories. My 707 had a lot darker wood and a cheekpiece on the stock, but the 747 looked exactly like yours. Gun writer Francis Sell almost singlehandedly made them famous using the 20 gauges on geese with his special recipe handloads. In my experience they were solidly made SxSs that handled relatively well and worked well, too. About the equal of an AYA Matador. In the condition yours looks to be in probably $400 to $600, but check GunBroker and GunsAmerica. They were once fairly common, but you don't see the Richland Arms guns much, so whoever has them appear to be hanging on to them. I miss the 707.

What could have happened... did.

Last edited by Virginian; 12-08-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the information, Virginian. Yeah, from what I've been able to find on the 'net, there were some Spanish-made versions of these as well. This one was definitely made in Italy (the "Made in Italy" stamped into the receiver was my first clue.....nothing gets by me )

I did run across one for sale here:

http://www.williamlarkinmoore.com/images/P1010440.JPG

It appears to be the same gun. The listing price on this one is $1350

The listing describes it as follows:

GASPERINI, SXS, BLNE (Richland Arms model 707), 20 GA, 27-5/8'' (70 cm), IC& M, DT, Pistol Grip, Semi Beaver Tail Forearm, Matted Concave Rib, Casehardened Receiver, Scroll Border Engraving, Pad, ID#1403, VG Plus Condition

Anyway, like i said in the original post, the monetary value (whatever it may be) is irrelevant.

Here's its value to me:

image0-6.jpg  

Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #4

Default Richland 707

Hello, Elemental. I was delighted to read about your Richland Model 707 20 guage. I am the owner of a Model 707, which I prefer to call a Prandelli-Gasperini, because that is the gun's manufacturer, in Val Trompia, Italy. Both barrels are marked as being composed of Vickers English Steel.

I purchased the gun at Cabelas in Mitchell, SD last bird season. If I'm not mistaken, I paid $675 for it. It attracted me, because it appeared to be very well made and had restoration potential. About all I had to do was refinish the butt and forend. It is a sweet gun - light and lively in the field. Now, after telling you all of that, I have to admit that I am taking it to the Tulsa Gun Show, tomorrow. I have too many side X sides. I plan to ask $900 for it. If I don't sell it, fine. I don't know if this helps, but I think you can be please with what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
I am hoping someone can help me obtain some information on this shotgun that I recently inherited. It is marked as a Richland Model 707 (20 ga.), but it is obviously Italian-made. I am not looking to sell it, but I would be interested to know its value. This gun has tremendous sentimental, as it belonged to my father, who recently passed away. This was the gun I remember him carrying when he took me out hunting when I was only 7 or 8 years old. In fact, this is the first shotgun I ever fired. My dad stood behind me, and when I fired, he caught me with one hand and the gun with the other (I learned a valuable lesson regarding keeping the shotgun snug against my shoulder that day).

I have attached some pictures for reference. One of the ppictures shows the underside of the barrels with the forearm removed. I assume the stars indicate the barrel choke ("full" and "???").

Does anyone have any information on this gun? Is there any other information you need from me?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #5

I have had a Richland 707 in 20ga since 1971. It is my 'go to' shotgun for pheasants here in South Dakota over a dog. I only shoot lead if I'm on private land or designated "Walk-in" areas. If I hunt an area that requires steel shot, I pull out the Bismuth or Hevi-Shot. No way I want to ruin the barrels on this arm. I believe I gave $125.00 for mine and I don't plan on selling it - I just hope one of my sons wants it when I quit hunting and likes it as much as I do.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #6

Default Richland Model 707

I was looking to buy a Richland Italian made Model 707 SxS recently, and here is what seems to be the market values for these two "different" 707's. Usually the Spanish made model 707 runs about $300 +/- $50, and the Italian made model goes about $400~$600 +/- $50 depending on condition & gauge.

Here is an example of a recent auction for a 20 ga Richland model 707 made in Italy with $500 realized priced. Please refer to http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1016040900

By the way, the one with a price tag of $1,350 has been listed on William Larkin Moore's website for years...