Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Repair job gone bad! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/repair-job-gone-bad-50945/)

bmynrd731 10-31-2011 10:21 PM

Repair job gone bad!

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone ever wanted to just smack someone in the back of the head, becuase they used superglue to reglue the blade of sight to the front of a H&R to the barrel, and why do they always spray paint the wood black???:mad:
I know that some of the H&R's came in black that were made with the blug barrels but why is it always srpay paint. :confused:

JTJ 10-31-2011 10:32 PM

I know how you feel. I had to strip the stock on a Marlin 25m after a little Hoppes got on it. Someone did a really good job but spray paint just does not hold up. Finished it with Tung Oil and floated the barrel while I was at it. I need to get it to the range.

dunerunner 10-31-2011 10:38 PM

More pics of this project please!!

bmynrd731 11-09-2011 06:55 PM

Sorry its been a few weeks since i have been in. Being a truckdriver sometimes its hard to get home to the camera to post things. I will post some of the work i have done on my new shotgun. (well new to me) I have stripped the barrel and have sanded all the crappy paint off the forend. am going to have to use paint strippers to get the stuff off the stock. wiil post them tonight i hope. Thanks Brian

bmynrd731 11-09-2011 09:42 PM

New pix

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmynrd731 (Post 616200)
Has anyone ever wanted to just smack someone in the back of the head, becuase they used superglue to reglue the blade of sight to the front of a H&R to the barrel, and why do they always spray paint the wood black???:mad:
I know that some of the H&R's came in black that were made with the blug barrels but why is it always srpay paint. :confused:

New pic i took today..:D

bmynrd731 11-09-2011 11:50 PM

what i did to gun

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmynrd731 (Post 623566)
New pic i took today..:D

I stripped the paint of the wood stock. then i used a 120 sand paper then went to 220, 320 and finally went to a 400 to finish. The barrel is going to be duracoated for a black finish. and the wood is going to have a light mahogany coat with linseed oil added until i get the light red finish. I have done this on small tables so lets see how it looks on a gun.

Axxe55 11-10-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmynrd731 (Post 623674)
I stripped the paint of the wood stock. then i used a 120 sand paper then went to 220, 320 and finally went to a 400 to finish. The barrel is going to be duracoated for a black finish. and the wood is going to have a light mahogany coat with linseed oil added until i get the light red finish. I have done this on small tables so lets see how it looks on a gun.

looks like a good start so far. i like wood with a red tint to it myself also. post more pictures!

unclebear 11-10-2011 07:00 AM

that right there is a good clean slate, me personally I like three tone tiger stripe camo, use to paint all my airsoft guns that way... just haven't gotten around to doing it with a real gun.

good luck man hope it comes out the way you want it to.

spittinfire 11-10-2011 10:03 AM

Looks like you're taking care of it. Thanks for pics.

Rex in OTZ 11-10-2011 11:33 PM

Black painted H&R like that from factory

back in late 1990's I found the local varity store had a sale going on I bought a new Chinese SKS and a H&R 12ga single shot shotgun, both were display models and had scratched stocks, I bought the shotgun for $69 and the SKS $110 scratched varnish never botherd me any, I sanded off the ugly yella varnish on the SKS and Toung Oil'd it, The H&R I touched up the scratched stock paint with a Q-tip and some aerosol Krylon paint spritzed in the cap and dabbed on the stock