Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remmington vs Mossberg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remmington vs Mossberg

Ok, I know its probably been asked but I am looking for my first shotgun. Mainly for a home defense and general shooting use.

I am looking at the Remmington 870 or the Mossberg 500. Can anyone tell me which may be better, advantages / disadvantages, etc?

I know police swear by Remmington 870s and the US Military use Mossbergs. I know the difference in that Remmingtons have single extractors and Mossbergs have duals.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #2

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I prefer the Mossberg 500 to any shotgun on the market. It's extremely reliable, very durable and much less expensive to own than a Remington. Another issue I have with the new 870's is there is to much lag between ejection and presenting a shell for battery. I constantly short stroke the 870. While recoil alone is enough to make the Mossberg present a shell for battery. People complain about the loose forestock on the Mossberg. The loose tolerances are what makes the Mossberg so reliable.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

gmaster456 Likes This 
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #3

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

I love my mossy. both are great guns and its a matter of preference really. Slide release and safety location are diffrent. Go handle the both of them at your LGS. rack the slide a few times, flip the safety back and forth, and buy which one is easier for you to manipulate.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #4

Liked 169 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870, both are of the same quality and reliability. The only difference is the cost IMO.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7670 Times on 4427 Posts
Likes Given: 9900

I have both. I think cost would make me favor the Mossberg.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #6

Liked 1920 Times on 1146 Posts
Likes Given: 411

Some of the differences:
Receivers: Remington is steel, Mossberg is aluminum
Safety: Remington is at the rear of the trigger guard and favors right handed shooters. Mossberg is at the top rear of the receiver and pretty much ambidextrous.
Slide release: Remington in front if trigger guard Mossberg is behind it and easier to manipulate while keeping the firing hand on the grip.
Pump rails: Remington rails are welded and Mossberg rails are riveted. This makes the Remington pump feel tighter or more solid.

I like both shotguns. I don't think you would go wrong with either.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1152 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 462

Default My $0.02

I would shop for a used 870 Wingmaster, it is the cream of the crop of pump guns made in the latter half of the 20th century. If the used Wingmaster has a fixed choke barrel, have the barrel cut down to 19 - 20 inches for HD. Buy a 26 inch vent ribbed barrel with Remchokes for general use, skeet, hunting, etc.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #8

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

It really depends, 6 of one, a half dozen of the other.

You can't go wrong with either, I'd buy the first one that went on sale.

-Matt

Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have both....and as most say its a flip of the coin. Either way you are getting a great reliable firearm. There are all kind of comments on here about the Mossberg being too lose...and the new 870's being poorly made. I disagree. I have not experienced any quality problems, but both gun models are made and sold in the millions so by sheer volume alone you are bound to find a fe folks who had some negative experiences.

I have never had either gun fail me and each time I pull the trigger they go "bang!." Here is something I do that so far has not let me down. After you buy the gun have it cleaned and lubricated. I like to ensure that all the guns I own have been disassembled, checked and cleaned...new or used.

Have fun....its great to have choices.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1708 Times on 891 Posts
Likes Given: 341

I see this question all over the internet, discussed at gun shops, etc. It reminds me of the old "Lite Beer" commercials: LESS FILLING vs TASTES GREAT lol

I have 2 Remington 870's in 12 gauge; 1 Express and 1 Wingmaster. The Express is my general purpose, don't care if it gets beat up gun; I use the Wingmaster for Pheasants. I love, absolutely LOVE the 870. Simple design, never a jam ever. Not once. And very simple to break down and clean. I bought both used; I knew what I was looking for and found mint guns at great prices. They didn't sell a jillion of these things for no reason!

That said, I really should pick up a Mossy sometime so I can see what all those "other" folks are talking about. I'm not a fan of the safety on a Mossberg, but hey that's just one feature.....