Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Shotgun Discussion (
-   -   Remmington vs Mossberg (

Grafixx01 10-09-2012 03:36 AM

Remmington vs Mossberg
Ok, I know its probably been asked but I am looking for my first shotgun. Mainly for a home defense and general shooting use.

I am looking at the Remmington 870 or the Mossberg 500. Can anyone tell me which may be better, advantages / disadvantages, etc?

I know police swear by Remmington 870s and the US Military use Mossbergs. I know the difference in that Remmingtons have single extractors and Mossbergs have duals.

Can anyone help me out?

Old_Crow 10-09-2012 04:09 AM

I prefer the Mossberg 500 to any shotgun on the market. It's extremely reliable, very durable and much less expensive to own than a Remington. Another issue I have with the new 870's is there is to much lag between ejection and presenting a shell for battery. I constantly short stroke the 870. While recoil alone is enough to make the Mossberg present a shell for battery. People complain about the loose forestock on the Mossberg. The loose tolerances are what makes the Mossberg so reliable.

GaryGlock 10-09-2012 04:12 AM

I love my mossy. both are great guns and its a matter of preference really. Slide release and safety location are diffrent. Go handle the both of them at your LGS. rack the slide a few times, flip the safety back and forth, and buy which one is easier for you to manipulate.

chuckusaret 10-09-2012 05:06 AM

I have a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870, both are of the same quality and reliability. The only difference is the cost IMO.

Vikingdad 10-09-2012 05:10 AM

I have both. I think cost would make me favor the Mossberg.

SSGN_Doc 10-09-2012 05:33 AM

Some of the differences:
Receivers: Remington is steel, Mossberg is aluminum
Safety: Remington is at the rear of the trigger guard and favors right handed shooters. Mossberg is at the top rear of the receiver and pretty much ambidextrous.
Slide release: Remington in front if trigger guard Mossberg is behind it and easier to manipulate while keeping the firing hand on the grip.
Pump rails: Remington rails are welded and Mossberg rails are riveted. This makes the Remington pump feel tighter or more solid.

I like both shotguns. I don't think you would go wrong with either.

Gatoragn 10-09-2012 09:42 AM

My $0.02
I would shop for a used 870 Wingmaster, it is the cream of the crop of pump guns made in the latter half of the 20th century. If the used Wingmaster has a fixed choke barrel, have the barrel cut down to 19 - 20 inches for HD. Buy a 26 inch vent ribbed barrel with Remchokes for general use, skeet, hunting, etc.

Blueguns 10-10-2012 04:17 AM

It really depends, 6 of one, a half dozen of the other.

You can't go wrong with either, I'd buy the first one that went on sale.

northhike 10-10-2012 11:48 AM

I have both....and as most say its a flip of the coin. Either way you are getting a great reliable firearm. There are all kind of comments on here about the Mossberg being too lose...and the new 870's being poorly made. I disagree. I have not experienced any quality problems, but both gun models are made and sold in the millions so by sheer volume alone you are bound to find a fe folks who had some negative experiences.

I have never had either gun fail me and each time I pull the trigger they go "bang!." Here is something I do that so far has not let me down. After you buy the gun have it cleaned and lubricated. I like to ensure that all the guns I own have been disassembled, checked and or used.

Have fun....its great to have choices. :D

chloeshooter 10-10-2012 01:21 PM

I see this question all over the internet, discussed at gun shops, etc. It reminds me of the old "Lite Beer" commercials: LESS FILLING vs TASTES GREAT lol

I have 2 Remington 870's in 12 gauge; 1 Express and 1 Wingmaster. The Express is my general purpose, don't care if it gets beat up gun; I use the Wingmaster for Pheasants. I love, absolutely LOVE the 870. Simple design, never a jam ever. Not once. And very simple to break down and clean. I bought both used; I knew what I was looking for and found mint guns at great prices. They didn't sell a jillion of these things for no reason!

That said, I really should pick up a Mossy sometime so I can see what all those "other" folks are talking about. I'm not a fan of the safety on a Mossberg, but hey that's just one feature.....