remington spr220

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > remington spr220

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default remington spr220

Anyone familiar with the remington 220 double barrel sxs 12 ga shotguns? My father is getting on for his birthday (he doesn't know it yet). He love old west stuff, and has a ruger revolver that looks like a western six-shooter. He also has a henry lever action rifle. Well, now he has the coach gun coming his way, and I'm looking for a few suggestions on what might need some tweaking on it.

I've read that the norinco coach guns need a bit of sanding/filing to work well, and this remington seems pretty tight to open and close. So, anyone ever bought one and improved it or tweaked it? There's not much on it to go wrong...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #2

They are not easy to work on. You can disengage the auto safety easy. My suggestion is to let a gunsmith with experience with the Spartan coach guns work on it too smooth and lighten it. Some smiths will say they can work on them but it is not so.

The asterisk nut on the bottom of the receiver has to be removed to get to the cocking cam springs. That screw is very hard to remove. It can be buggered if the job is not done right. The heavy cocking cam springs has to be lightened and there are no reduced power replacement springs for them so some will have to be adapted. If they are lightened too much you will get misfires. The cams are cocked by closing the action after firing. The heavy springs make the action hard to close.

Take it to a good Spartan coach gun action smith.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 09-04-2008 at 03:07 AM.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:30 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
They are not easy to work on. You can disengage the auto safety easy. My suggestion is to let a gunsmith with experience with the Spartan coach guns work on it too smooth and lighten it. Some smiths will say they can work on them but it is not so.

The asterisk nut on the bottom of the receiver has to be removed to get to the cocking cam springs. That screw is very hard to remove. It can be buggered if the job is not done right. The heavy cocking cam springs has to be lightened and there are no reduced power replacement springs for them so some will have to be adapted. If they are lightened too much you will get misfires. The cams are cocked by closing the action after firing. The heavy springs make the action hard to close.

Take it to a good Spartan coach gun action smith.

GC
Yeah, I noticed that it cocked when closing, and that it was hard to close. That makes sense that the two are connected. I'll let him play with it some and decide if he wants to have anything done to it. He shoots so rarely that he may just live with it as is... Thanks for the info!

Old 09-04-2008, 04:47 AM   #4

They are well built durable coach guns.

GC

Old 04-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #5

Default Spr220

I am sure your Dad knows by now that this shotgun has quite a "kick". It is a wonderful gun however.