remington or mossberg - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > remington or mossberg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

I have 870 and love it.

I just acquired another 870 for Home Defense.

I going to take the new 870 to the range. I do a range report without pics, reason is we have to have the shotgun targets set at 25 yards (Range rules). Last time I took the 870, was on target and was had a very big spread, using mostly 1 oz. 8-shot. Will use some managed-recoil slugger (Remington) for the wife shooting!

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 11-03-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #12

Both guns have there perks. I am an 870 fan, only because you can interchange parts and put a extended mag tube on any 870. The gun can go from having a 30 inch barrel for dove hunting to having a 18 inch barrel, a pistol grip, and extended mag tube in just a few minutes. With the Mossberg you have to replace the barrel and tube. I have Training 870's with several thousand rounds of "00" Buck threw them each year and they require very little maintenance.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have a Mossberg 835 and a Remington 870. If I was hunting turkey I"ll take the Mossberg any day of the week. But that's what ti was made for. The 870 on the other hand is much easier to modify to suit multiple needs. Tons of things out there to make an 870 work any way you might want it to. Mossbergs can be dealt with this what too but it seems much easier to find parts for an 870.

By the OP post it seems that there is a leaning to the Mossberg mainly due to comfort. If this is the case then I would say run with the 590. How a weapon feels to the shooter is just as important as the weapons function. Mossberg makes a quality shotgun. They are not the most popular maybe but that's not because they are not a good shotgun. I know plenty people that will swear by them. The biggest reason I got the 870 I have was because I can get parts easier and can make set it up any way I want with ease. And I got a really good deal on it so it was actually more cost effective.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #14

Would you guys recommend this Remington 870 as a suitable weapon for home defense?

I might also want to do some sport shooting with the same gun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
I have 870 and love it.

I just acquired another 870 for Home Defense.

I going to take the new 870 to the range. I do a range report without pics, reason is we have to have the shotgun targets set at 25 yards (Range rules). Last time I took the 870, was on target and was had a very big spread, using mostly 1 oz. 8-shot. Will use some managed-recoil slugger (Remington) for the wife shooting!
Sorry didn't see this post before posting my question!!

Last edited by Harley4ever; 11-15-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: adding quote

Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2741 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I am not an 870 fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. The 870 is a good shotgun. The Mossberg 500 or 590 are also good shotguns. A major difference is ease of cleaning. The way Mossberg has the shell stops set up is a major PITA to properly clean. When you take out the trigger group on a Mossberg, all kinds of parts fall out. The 870 comes neatly out in one unit.

The 870 is not perfect. The shell stops are staked in. They are a little more difficult to get good and clean, but they do not normally fall out. When they do, the gun gets to make a trip to the factory or a good gunsmith.

Give me a Winchester or FN

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I am not an 870 fanboy by any stretch of the imagination. The 870 is a good shotgun. The Mossberg 500 or 590 are also good shotguns. A major difference is ease of cleaning. The way Mossberg has the shell stops set up is a major PITA to properly clean. When you take out the trigger group on a Mossberg, all kinds of parts fall out. The 870 comes neatly out in one unit.

The 870 is not perfect. The shell stops are staked in. They are a little more difficult to get good and clean, but they do not normally fall out. When they do, the gun gets to make a trip to the factory or a good gunsmith.

Give me a Winchester or FN
From reading this it would seem to me that the 870 would be good for someone like me who his relatively inexperienced with shotguns (I have a shot a few times with various different ones over the years but never owned one myself) especially in the maintenance aspect of being a gun owner.

As I mentioned before, my primary interest in owning a shotgun is for home defense if the need ever arises (God foribid) but I am keen on getting a good bit of shooting in with the weapon be it target or maybe some sport like trap or skeet (which I have never done but damn it looks fun!)..

So being able to take care of the gun without having to be a gunsmith sounds like a bonus on it's own right.

I like alot of the Mossberg models I have seen for the 'cool' factor they possess but I want to make a smart purchase my first time out if possible with out getting dragged down by cool paintjob and pistol grips etc.. (which is hard for me not to do!)

Old 11-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

You can buy a Mossberg 500 with a long vent rib tube with screw in chokes along with an 18" barrel as a set. Very inexpensive. Big 5 had them advertised under $400 at least locally. That would give you a hunting barrel and a home defense barrel. About 5 minutes to change.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #18

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

I believe the gun selected by the military was the Mossberg 590A1, which is not a 500. 500s have plastic safeties which are prone to breakage, among other differences. Remington did not choose to even submit a gun to the tests, figuring it was not worth the expense I guess. They have sold tons of them to the military and police over the years, just not this go round.
The Remington Express 870 is built to a low price point. It is the same basic gun, with several cost cutting measures employed; if you pick up a good used Wingmaster or Police model next to an Express you will quickly see what I mean.
There have been some reports of Expresses having rough chambers and having difficulty ejecting cheap shells, but I have seen people beating Mossbergs on the ground to get them to eject too, and one Nova. I have not heard of anyone who sent a gun back to Remington or Mossberg to get it fixed where their problem wasn't resolved. The people who continue to moan after one home remedy or another didn't work I ignore, because I didn't see what they did or how they did it. I have fixed a couple myself and it was very simple.

What could have happened... did.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #19

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Remington 870 in either a LW20(5 lbs, 3" chamber, 20" bbl) or a Special Field 12 (3", 21" bbl).

Maneuverable enough for home defense, and well suited in most shotgunning hunts.

I took pheasant with mine last year.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
ok im sure this has been talked about berfore but i need to know what people like about either shotgun to help make up my mind. Im going to get either an 870 or a 590 with an extended tube and no pistol grip to use as a tact shotgun. Right now Im favoring the 590 because the pump release is behind the trigger guard and can be actuated by my middle finger without moving my hands and also because on the 870 the little lever underneath the chamber that lifts rounds up to be chambered pinches my fingers when i load the tube. Anyway I want to know if there is any hidden benefit/thing i dont know about the remington that makes it a great gun. For those who have an 870 why do you like that gun over others?
Doesn't Mossberg's receiver made from aluminum? Remington's made from a block of steel... more tougher anytime than aluminum.