Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   remington or mossberg (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/remington-mossberg-33532/)

dcm 10-25-2010 09:39 PM

remington or mossberg

ok im sure this has been talked about berfore but i need to know what people like about either shotgun to help make up my mind. Im going to get either an 870 or a 590 with an extended tube and no pistol grip to use as a tact shotgun. Right now Im favoring the 590 because the pump release is behind the trigger guard and can be actuated by my middle finger without moving my hands and also because on the 870 the little lever underneath the chamber that lifts rounds up to be chambered pinches my fingers when i load the tube. Anyway I want to know if there is any hidden benefit/thing i dont know about the remington that makes it a great gun. For those who have an 870 why do you like that gun over others?

Missileman 10-25-2010 09:56 PM

Both are good shotguns, but the 870 has proven itself to be the most reliable pump action shotgun ever made and I believe has sold more than all other pumps combined. I read somewhere a comment by a law enforcement armorer who had to do an investigation every time there was a weapon malfunction--he said of all the investigations he did on malfunctioning shotguns, none was ever a Remington 870. If you pick up a used 870 and any other pump, and work the action, you will most likely know immediately why everyone likes them by how smooth and positive they are.

Leavingplatoscomphycave 10-29-2010 07:30 AM

beamer or mercedes?

rfdallas 10-29-2010 10:18 AM

I have an 870 and love mine. I am sure 590's are just as good.

WoodysKJ 10-31-2010 10:22 PM

870, in EVERY police car in america. Carried by our troops. Fewer moving parts. Easier to field strip.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

Mossberg is a Walmart Delux. Much cheaper made, MANY more parts, A bitch to field strip.

Had a friend in a dove field have his barrel on his 590 just separate off the mag tube AND receiver mount as he cycled a new round in the chamber. BRAND NEW gun.

Had a guy short stroke an 870 a few weeks ago in a dove field. Pulled the barrel, drove out the two trigger pins and presto, fixed. re-assembled in seconds, back in the game. To this day still have not figured out HOW he short stroked it.

I own 6 and I can't replicate the issue. He was shooting a cheap cost cutter ammo, can't remember the brand.....

In my book I avoid mossbergs.

JTJ 11-02-2010 02:33 PM

I just picked up a Benelli Nova with extended tube and ghost ring sights. The dealer had some centurian shells that were interesting. Pumpkin ball with 6 #1's. I need to pick up some slugs and get to the range.

WoodysKJ 11-02-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 378982)
I just picked up a Benelli Nova with extended tube and ghost ring sights. The dealer had some centurian shells that were interesting. Pumpkin ball with 6 #1's. I need to pick up some slugs and get to the range.

Great gun but why spend more money than you need to to get comparable or even BETTER quality and dependability?

JTJ 11-02-2010 09:07 PM

$425 OTD. One of the dealers has another one without the extended tube for $470 OTD ($430+tax) and a $50 rebate from Benelli. He has all his Benelli's on closeout. I dont know if he has them on his website.
Sam's Shooters Emporium

orangello 11-02-2010 09:32 PM

"Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". (The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements.[2])

While the Marines officially switched to the semi-automatic M1014 Combat Shotgun in 1999, various branches of the US military are still acquiring pump shotguns. The Navy acquired several thousand Mossberg 590A1 shotguns in 2004[9], and the US Army placed an order in 2005 for 14,818 units at a price of just over US$316 each[10] (The Benelli M1014 is considerably more expensive).

In 2009 US Special Forces Groups procured Military Enhancement Kits to provide a standardized shotgun configuration based on the Mossberg 500. The kits included a collapsible stock, "shotgun retention system", 1913 receiver rail, forend rail system and breaching barrels. A total of 1301 shotguns were converted with the first unit being equipped in July, 2009. The majority of the kits convert the standard issue shotgun to a 14" compact model with a 16" accessory breaching barrel."
Mossberg 500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia From wikipedia, so worth reading buy should be verified before a purchase.

I've been very happy with my Mossy 500. I will say that every 500 i have used myself had a rattle between the forestock and the ammo tube, but it hasn't bothered me. I have also heard Mossberg given poor reviews by higher volume shooters (trap & such), but i am not remembering why they didn't care for it.

Classicarms.us has a more budget-minded Mossberg 500 "persuader" for tactical use for $289ish, "8 shot".

amoroque 11-02-2010 09:39 PM

I personally like the 870. Why......I guess cause I've never had a problem with it and my family has used them for generations.

I've never shot a Mossy 500.

I really like the Winchester model 12 too. Also, Just picked up a Winchester 1300 from a buddy looking to get some money to buy books for school and I really like it too (except that the winchoke is almost extinct and hard to find).