Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington Mohawk 48 Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 05:53 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yup, it do.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #42

Nice! I haven't seen a 48 in decades. Recoil operated like the old 11-48?.........................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Old 12-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah, it's recoil operated. The weather hasn't been cooperating, I still haven't fired it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #44

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts

Opinions are divided as to whether Remington was still making any recoil operated shotguns in 1974 despite what is on the website. Why a 2 year gap, too?
The consensus seems to be it is not chrome. The carrier does look to be chrome, and there appears to be an obvious difference in the appearance between that and the receiver. Typically chrome does not exhibit those very fine scratches on the surface. The gold plated trigger isn't standard, either, I don't know if anyone mentioned that before or not. Possibility someone was getting it all ready to have it reblued or plated and then changed their mind.
A quick test, wipe all the oil off a spot, dip your finger in salt water and then touch the gun barrel on the bottom where it is hidden by the fore end. If it isn't chrome you will have rust, real soon.
One minuyte with some steel wool and you can have it back like it is again.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Virginian, according to the Remington email it was made in 1970. I'll try the rust thing later on today.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #46

Liked 102 Times on 78 Posts

I know, but the web site says they were made from 1970 to '74, and everything else recoil operated stopped in 1968. I can't figure out why they would do that.
I like the Santa's Helper avatar.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:35 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Oh yeah, she can help me anytime.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Opinions are divided as to whether Remington was still making any recoil operated shotguns in 1974 despite what is on the website. Why a 2 year gap, too?
The consensus seems to be it is not chrome. The carrier does look to be chrome, and there appears to be an obvious difference in the appearance between that and the receiver. Typically chrome does not exhibit those very fine scratches on the surface. The gold plated trigger isn't standard, either, I don't know if anyone mentioned that before or not. Possibility someone was getting it all ready to have it reblued or plated and then changed their mind.
A quick test, wipe all the oil off a spot, dip your finger in salt water and then touch the gun barrel on the bottom where it is hidden by the fore end. If it isn't chrome you will have rust, real soon.
One minuyte with some steel wool and you can have it back like it is again.
I was looking up what my mohawk-48 is worth and found this web site, mine is not chrome,but it does have a gold plated trigger, i bought the gun cheep from someone who needed money, its not mint,but the blue in nice, only have few marks in stock where it would need to be refinished to make really nice again. did anyone ever find out if they did come from the factory with gold trigger?. was thinking about reselling mine,till i seen what some go for ... i think i did good for 75.. if anyone would like to see i can try to post a picture.....alby

Old 12-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

As far as I know, the gold trigger was standard. You did really well for seventy-five bucks.

Unless it's really rusted and/or pitted, I wouldn't spend the money on refinishing it. They're good shotguns, but not really worth a bunch of money.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
You did really well for seventy-five bucks.

Why do I feel like I got hosed?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer