Remington Disintegrator Buckshot
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington Disintegrator Buckshot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Remington Disintegrator Buckshot

Hey all,
When I bought a box of 25 Disintegrator 12 Gauge 00, I completely overlooked the fact that they were lead free and I'm a bit worried about what they could do to my barrel (and cylinder choke). I can't find any information on the metal used, I hope they're not steelshots. Part of me tells me that since it's reduced recoil and frangible it should be safe, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. I know that Remington sells reduced recoil lead buckshot and that's what I thought I was buying until I saw the box in person.
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Ammunition/Shotgun/Disintegrator-shotgun.aspx
Thanks

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 04-26-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
Hey all,
When I bought a box of 25 Disintegrator 12 Gauge 00, I completely overlooked the fact that they were lead free and I'm a bit worried about what they could do to my barrel (and cylinder choke). I can't find any information on the metal used, I hope they're not steelshots. Part of me tells me that since it's reduced recoil and frangible it should be safe, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. I know that Remington sells reduced recoil lead buckshot and that's what I thought I was buying until I saw the box in person.
http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Ammunition/Shotgun/Disintegrator-shotgun.aspx
Thanks
I can tell 1 it isn't steel. Maybe copper?and I doubt it will damage anything.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I tryed some disintigrator buckshot a friend had before. I dont know what brand they were but they were trying them out for the local pd. They were told the shot was made of powdered buitsmith(sp?) and its packed very tightly in a press.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

They use powdered lead for breaching. Takes the hinges and or knob off without any chance of bounce back.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10431 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Powdered iron (sintered) that has been copper plated.

FWIW, there has been at least one case where a LEO in training had a first-shot blown barrel using those. Forensic investigation found that pellets had fused together in barrel, obstructing barrel. Believe problem was limited to one particular lot number.

In doubt, give Remington Customer Service a shout thru their website.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #6

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Powdered iron (sintered) that has been copper plated.

FWIW, there has been at least one case where a LEO in training had a first-shot blown barrel using those. Forensic investigation found that pellets had fused together in barrel, obstructing barrel. Believe problem was limited to one particular lot number.

In doubt, give Remington Customer Service a shout thru their website.
Wow that sounds reaaaally bad! Oh well if my Remington shotgun breaks shooting low recoil Remington ammo they'd probably be helpful!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 04-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10431 Times on 4498 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

This isa C&P of accident investigation

Initial report from Colonial National Historical Park

On 11/4/2008 during semi-annual firearms qualifications at the US Coast Guard Training Center range, Ranger Ken Doak was injured when his NPS issued Remington 870 shotgun barrel exploded during the qualification. Ranger Doak received a laceration to his left hand which was on the wood forearm of the pump action shotgun. The qualification course for shotguns had just started, Ranger Doak had attempted to fire his first round when the barrel exploded. The firing line was immediately made safe and all weapons checked and made safe. Rangers provided medical care to Ranger Doak for the laceration. Ranger Doak's weapon had been functioned check by

Ranger Officer Tillson prior to the qualifications, including a check of the barrel for an obstructions. The park was using Remington Disintegrator OO Buckshot, 2 3/4 inch length purchased from the FLETC approved list for Lead Free Frangible. The US Coast Guard Range Officer was contacted and responded to the scene. The Range Officer was also an armorer and inspected the barrel of the weapon along with Firearms Instructors Larry Smith and Tom Nash. This inspection revealed the OO buckshot pellets appeared to be fused together in the barrel, which created an obstruction in the barrel. The obstruction was just forward of the ejection port in the barrel. As a result the gases and pressure expanded in the barrel caused the barrel to explode. The target had a small tear in the target, where apparently the front plastic covering of the shell hit the target. The tear was not from the wadding in the shell. Ranger Doak received medical care for his injury, several stitches to close the wound. Follow-up investigation will be coordinated with FLETC to determine cause. Remington shotguns were purchased in 1991.

Jill R. Kinney

Firearms Program Manager / Armorer

National Park Service

Last edited by c3shooter; 04-27-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yikes. That could have been a lot worse than it was. And the rounds sound like they will be a good home defense round where over penetration is an issue.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #9

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

i dont understand "fused together in the barrel" (This inspection revealed the OO buckshot pellets appeared to be fused together in the barrel, which created an obstruction in the barrel. The obstruction was just forward of the ejection port in the barrel.)

must have been from a PREVIOUSLY fired squib load, therefore negligence on prefire inspection

otherwise, an explosion great enough to blow the barrel would expelled the bucksot whether fused together or not