Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > remington coping benelli?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah the BPS feeds and ejects from the bottom, quite similar to the old Ithica model 37.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #12

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts

I do think Remington copied Benelli on this gun. No reason to let them reel in all the people who want an ugly gun without a contest.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 AM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ever since you and Underfire started this I have been looking at the 887 and comparing it to the Benelli Nova. The only similarities that I can see is that they are both shotguns and they are both are pump models. The forearms are slightly similar but other than that the receiver designs and materials are completely different, the vent ribs are different, etc.

It appears to me that these shotguns are only similar in the ways that pump shotguns have to be similar. Other than that they're pretty different.

IMO, I side with Tango on this. It does look like you started this thread to pick a fight with Underfire. You made a statement followed with it being your opinion, threw Underfire out there in the first post and then offered no reasoning behind why you feel Remington is copying Benelli. This has you picking a fight with Underfire all over it.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 03-16-2010, 02:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTurley View Post
I know underfire doesnt think so but he is a remington fan so I wouldnt expect him to admit it
A comment like this in your Op and you're not trying to start a fight, huh? You're going to make a lot of friends here.

Back on topic...
I noticed you didn't include any facts in your comparison, only personal opinion. You being a Nova fanboy I wouldn't expect you to.

The 887 Nitro is a modernized 870- same platform. So in order to compare the Nova to the 887 Nitro we have to compare the Nova to the 870 platform.

1. Nova's trigger group design is the same as the 870's. The slide release is in the same general location just on the opposite side as a 870.
2. The safety design ( Cross-Bolt) same as a 870. The safety is also in the general location as a 870. Instead of the safety button at the rear of the trigger guard (870) it's on the front (Nova).
3. Nova's detached trigger assy. group; consisting of hammer, trigger, disconnector, action release lever, steel shell carrier contained in one piece is the same design as a 870's.
4. Nova's rotating bolt head with two locking lugs that engage locking recesses in the steel barrel extensions- basically a locking bolt.
Locking the bolt to the barrel extension is a common design in modern shotguns THANKS TO THE REMINGTON 870
5. Nova's barrel removes the same as a 870. Break-down very similar to the 870.
6. Nova's fore-end has a similar design to the 870 including the fingering channel.
7. Nova has a barrel rib like the 870.
8. Nova has side ejection port like the 870.
9. Nova loads from the bottom like the 870.
10. Nova's stock design resembles an 870.
11. Nova has removable "screw-in" choke tubes like the 870.

Now for Nova's "superior" differences
1. The Red Log front sight
2. Grooves instead of checkering
3. Tool molded on the end of the magazine cap designed to push pins
through the receiver making trigger assy. removal easier.
4. Button in the middle of the Fore-End that when used retains the shells in the magazine tube as the action is opened. Basically a magazine cut-off that Browning has had for many years.
5. Modern look making it cosmetically appealing.
6. One piece stock & receiver- which is a mistake in my opinion because you can't change out the stock if it gets damaged OR if you decide to have a collapsible stock.

For the above reasons is why Remington is not making the 887 Nitro like the Nova. Actually the Nova (like the 887 Nitro) is just a modernized 870.
So who's copying who?

Last edited by UnderFire; 03-16-2010 at 04:17 AM.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #15

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
upgraded version of the 870? Please dont put my 870 in the same catorgy as that piece of crap. And Im not trying to start a fight Its just my opion that the 887 nitro mag is remington trying to make there newest shotgun like benelli. But I take it you have not had much experince with the 887 if youre calling it a upgraded version of the 870No that's what remington says if I was comparing the 870 vs the 887 nitro mag I would have to say 870 all the way I was just wondering what everyone else thinks. And as far as giving some reasons have you ever seen both guns side by sideHe's not the one making the statement that they are the same. Hell I was reading one magizne a while back talking about the 887 and one coment they made was benelli needs to check and see if they got some novas missing. But like I said thats just my opion dont trying to turn it into more than that.
Remington states the 887 is based on the 870. This is straight from their site. Remington 887 Shotgun

Quote:
Similar to the Model 870, its receiver is manufactured from solid steel, and the barrel is hammer-forged.

KEY FEATURES:

Action design based on the venerable Model 870™ – ultra-smooth and reliable
Rugged ArmorLokt™ coating totally prevents rust on all exterior surfaces
SuperCell™ recoil pad reduces the felt recoil up to 54%
Our softest-shooting pump gun ever
Awesome balance and natural pointing cha...
Why do you make false statements then when someone calls you on it you recite it's your opinion. With that logic I could say John Denver was the best death metal artist there was....in my opinion

I'm not really the type to pick a fight, but someone has to call you on this.

EDIT: Little tid bit of info.

The 870 was designed in 1951 and Benelli was created in 1967. I just saw Underfire posted at the same time I did and he pointed that out.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 03-16-2010 at 05:42 AM.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Do those eject the spent shells out the bottom of the gun I thought I heard something that wasent sure if it was the bps or not
yeah dude you heard it right here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Bear,
Like always you're right on target.
I've shot many rounds through a Browning BPS. Great pump system with bottom ejection. Very nice indeed.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #17

I couldnt rember where I heard it I do alot of reading on the subject of firearms. I sent you a pm now Im putting it here for everybody to read. It was wrong of me to put you in my op like that I apoligze.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Let me start this off by saying I haven't fired an 887. I held one recently. That thing is light! Very light! I'm an avid duck hunter, and feel like the weight of that gun, along with some of the "heavier" 3.5" loads, could leave the shooter in some pain. For squirrel or rabbit, using 2 3/4" loads, this could be a nice field gun. Just my opinion.