Remington Buckshot vs. Winchester Buckshot

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington Buckshot vs. Winchester Buckshot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington Buckshot vs. Winchester Buckshot

I have a 12 gauge maverick 88 pump shotgun for hd. I was wondering for a self defense round should i use the remington #00 express magnum buckshot or the winchester super x 00 buckshot?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarlin23 View Post
I have a 12 gauge maverick 88 pump shotgun for hd. I was wondering for a self defense round should i use the remington #00 express magnum buckshot or the winchester super x 00 buckshot?
For HD you are better off looking for some Federal (or another comparable brand) Tactical SD loads (google Tactical 00 Buckshot). Buckshot that is meant for hunting is loaded to higher velocity than what is needed at indoor distances. The tactical loads are loaded for reduced recoil and have better powders with less muzzle flash for night use.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2707 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 221

+1 on the Federal Tactical. The Remington Reduced Recoil buckshot patterns about as well as the Federal for less money.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

What if i cant find any federal rounds local, whats my next option?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2707 Times on 1416 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Since you were probably typing as I was posting, check my previous post.

We used to use Winchester 000 buck for our duty load. Hit freaky hard, but had fliers at 15 yards. The newer "tactical" or "reduced recoil" loads pattern much better.

General rule of thumb with full power buckshot is 1" of spread for each yard to the target. The newer stuff cuts that in half or better. Velocity is less, but ALL pellets hit the intended target for better results and less liability from those pesky "fliers"

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #6

So with that being sad, would the Winchester SuperX 00 Buckshot be a good choice for a sd round?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
So with that being sad, would the Winchester SuperX 00 Buckshot be a good choice for a sd round?

Either one of those loads is fine, just as most 00 loads from any of the big 3. Generally, go with what works most reliably in your gun and what gives you the best pattern, out of your particular gun. Beyond that look for a good price, as long as it works for your gun.

Generally for a self defense shotgun stick to 00 buck or a rifled slug and you are about as good to go as your going to be.

Now that said, there are many flavors of 00 available these days, though in the end, the bad guy probably won't know the difference.

For example, there are reduced recoil rounds available, that give very similiar performance, to the standard loads in terms of penetration and actual street results, with the added benefit of less felt recoil.

Also, some are offered with newer wads such as Federal Flight Control, which will keep the pattern tighter a little longer, thus giving you added range.

All that said, plain old winchester super x is just fine, just as is remington, or federal, and so are the reduced recoil and tactical loads from the big 3. Go with what works for you and your gun and what gives you confidence.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:31 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default buck shot

Buckshot used for home defense /hunting is always a short range proposition ...my 2 cents would be #4 buckshot ...as in more pellets on target ,realize that it's all relative ....targets are missed with buckshot! ...so I would want more pellets ..It will still do the job at historic buckshot distances for defense and hunting . I use #4 buck for hog hunting and if need be defense of home .....a 300 lb boar is alot tougher than any bad guy and #4 buckshot kills 'em dead !

Old 10-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
RMc

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Your listed choices:

Remington Express 00B:
.325" soft lead pellets, coarse poly buffer, Power Piston one piece shotcup wad.

Winchester SuperX 00B:
Nominal .33" soft lead pellets, coarse poly buffer, overpowder wad and fiber filler wads, no shotcup (pellets exposed to bore scrub flattening - prone to bore leading).

For short range defense- under 50 feet , there has been no change in buckshot effectiveness since the invention of the self contained shotshell.

For longer range use and hunting from choke bore shotguns, today's best buckshot loads are far more effective at 40 yards than most people will acknowledge.

Last edited by RMc; 10-19-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #10

Liked 164 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Remington isn't very good except for right up close,I have tried it at 25 yards out of an unchoked barrel and it's only 66% hits on 30"paper.Look for Hornady 00 buckshot,the critical defense,superformance etc is all the same,that stuff will hit 100%@25 yards with no choke,that's really good,I know this because I pattern'd them myself.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves