Remington 887 Tactical Shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 887 Tactical Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Remington 887 Tactical Shotgun

I recently purchased a Remington 887 tactical shotgun 18.5" nitro mag. I did do research before purchasing this gun and found lots of good reviews and some bad ones that mainly focused on the "ugly" looks of the design. Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it looks tough as hell. Opinions about looks don't really concern me. But I wish before I purchased the 887 that I had searched specifically for "887 failure to chamber". The first time I took it out it had issues chambering. It seemed that two 2 3/4" shells were being pushed out of the tube at once. Causing the next round to be chambered to get caught up on the one behind it in the mag tube. It happened 4 times out of 50 shells. Once is too many times for me. I thought that buying a Remington meant buying quality, durability, and most of all reliability. Apparently I should have looked for bad reviews on the gun. Honestly I feel like I got lucky with the one I took home after reading some of the other problems people had with them. Such as rounds firing upon closing of the slide without trigger pull. Those guns got sent back. I really like mine and want to give it a chance. Someone told me the new gun just needed to be broken in. I went the next weekend and put 100 rounds through it. I'm not sure that a single full tube went through without at least one occurrence of the issue. Then I noticed that sometimes the elevator was sticking up when it should have been down. That being said I took it out again. And this last time put 54 rounds through it without a single hiccup. Does this mean my shotgun is broken in now? I go target shooting nearly every weekend. So I will be putting a lot more rounds throguh it. My knee-jerk reaction was to send it back to Remington. But I love the way it looks and the idea behind the ArmorLokt coating. And that it's a "tactical" shotgun with picatanny railing. And the butt pad works wonderfully.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #2

Liked 132 Times on 102 Posts

Whenever any gun malfunctions, which happens way more than you might think, I advise determining specifically what is causing the issue before sending it in. Without some help they may shoot it and it works fine for them, so they do not do anything and send it back. For example, does it do it with all types of shells? Or, hopefully, it may be some small issue you could remedy yourself. If it starts doing it again I would get someone experienced to help me diagnose the problem.

What could have happened... did.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the info, Virginian. I appreciate it.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #4

a few of my friends have them I love how they look I want to get one myself because of the new coating and as you said it just looks tough and I love my 870 to death and very few times has let me down and that was when I first got it but I cant even count how many rounds I have put through it but im guessing it was just being worked it but yeah I usually only shoot Remington and the Federal rounds from Walmart but it could be the ammo type or just the break in period, keep shooting and hopefully it should clear up. Enjoy and good enjoy!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 100 rounds 2 FTC's

Well, out of a hundred rounds on Saturday there were only two instances of FTC. One within the first 50 and one towards the end of 100. I'm pleased with the gun at this point, as opposed to feeling sick that I made a bad purchase. I don't always just blast as fast as i can, but this time up I did it a couple times. I lined up eight popcans and from about 20 feet I took down 8 of 8 firing and cycling as fast as i could without stopping to really aim at all. I've decided that at this point while just target shooting I will continue shooting 2 3/4". but will try some 3" and/or 3 1/2" because that is what I will keep it loaded with when in use for self defense. Others have suggested that 3 1/2" should tube feed better. I don't have a ton of money to go put 100 3"+ rounds to see if it FTC.

Anyway. The gun is really great to shoot. It looks bad ass. Just the sight of it frightens people. And it shoots where I point it.

"Blast if I have to" ~ E-A-Ski

Last edited by PortlandTreeXD; 08-16-2011 at 02:38 AM.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #6

good to hear its a keeper might just go get myself one