Remington 887 tactical - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Remington 887 tactical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 154 Posts

That explains a lot; I disagree with Randy on a bunch of stuff. He does shoot a lot of different guns and he definitely has an opinion. I did a LOT of pattern work myself with barrels and chokes and such, and I found that lengthening forcing cones and overboring can improve patterns (whether the cost benefit ratio suits you is another matter), and that overboring can lead to higher velocities, with the right loads.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 AM   #22

Liked 2221 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
That explains a lot; I disagree with Randy on a bunch of stuff. He does shoot a lot of different guns and he definitely has an opinion. I did a LOT of pattern work myself with barrels and chokes and such, and I found that lengthening forcing cones and overboring can improve patterns (whether the cost benefit ratio suits you is another matter), and that overboring can lead to higher velocities, with the right loads.
Ammo manufacturers cut corners every way they can. I am sure you can remember the federal series of ammo that was named after the game it was intended hunt, duck and pheasant, dove and quail etc. That series of ammo was the cheapest ammo on the shelf. Yet the cheap federal ammo had enough antimony for 8 shot to hold it's shape.

Fiocchi is the only bargain factory ammo that has a quality wad and shot. To make a profit Fiocchi uses the crappiest hulls that have ever been manufactured, even the old paper hulls are better.

If your testing was done several years ago or with reloaded ammo you might want to reevaluate your tests in regards to your ammo/component choices.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #23

My work was all with nickel and copper plated shot in handloads. I have seen no difference pattern quality wise out of my guns with any of the current cheap loads.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 AM   #24

Liked 2221 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Really the plated shot are no better than the lead that is under the plating. In the fall a company brings a machine to the skeet and trap fields at rose hill that picks up the shot. The vast majority of the shot the machine picks up is deformed.

When I pattern any gun with cheap Walmart ammo there are holes in the patterns that a clay or even a dove can pass through. When I pattern my reloads the patterns are even with few holes a target could pass through.

Lots of people think there is no difference. They order the cheapest ammo they can find. They buy the cheapest chilled lead shot they can find. You can see it in their scores too. I can not figure these guys out. They don't flinch at buying a $2,000 gun. But if they have to pay over $70 for 250 rounds you would think they are going to miss a meal. The days of getting 250 rounds of AA ammo for $70 are long gone.

Last edited by John_Deer; 08-31-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #25

I know exactly what you mean. I have a Honda VTX1800, and when I hear people moaning about gas mileage I truly can't believe it. Who the heck buys a VTX1800 for mileage?