Remington 887 Nitromag
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 887 Nitromag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 887 Nitromag

Been looking at getting a pump shotgun to do some Dove hunting and skeet shooting. Saw an ad in American Rifleman about the 887 so I took a look at Remington's website to read up on it. Seems to be a pretty solid shotgun. Anyone heard anything about it, shot one, know someone who has one? Any information would be appreciated.

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_887/model_887.asp

http://www.gunsandhunting.com/nitro%20mag.html

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Last edited by FCross7; 09-01-2009 at 01:42 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #2

I've held one and I have to say its a wee bit sloppy on the forearm. and the forearm is also pretty big.(keep in mind 16 year old hands...not full grown) I was really looking to get it for hunting/skeet use as well but decided I will take care of my gun to much so i really dont need the ruggedness of it and its just really not a gun thats meant for skeet/trap.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Been looking at getting a pump shotgun to do some Dove hunting and skeet shooting. Saw an ad in American Rifleman about the 887 so I took a look at Remington's website to read up on it. Seems to be a pretty solid shotgun. Anyone heard anything about it, shot one, know someone who has one? Any information would be appreciated.

Here are a couple of links:

Model 887™ Nitro Magnum SPS

Remington Model 887 Nitro Mag

-Fred
It's a cool looking gun, but I have a few 870's already. Besides, I feel like I would be cheating on them if I strayed into the 887 line.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #4

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

I have heard mixed reports from actual shooters so far. Keep in mind a gun writer never met a gun (made by an advertiser) that he didn't like. I haven't even seen one yet. They made it to appeal to the black plastic gun lover crowd, and it appears to be working well in that regard.
I have a blued steel and walnut Wingmaster so I don't need one.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:13 AM   #5

I went to bass pro the other day and held one. The first thing I noticed was that it was REALLY light, much lighter than my Mossberg 500, which only has an 18.5 barrel and a top folding stock. One thing that I really like is that it has a fluorescent green front bead, and a fluorescent orange mid bead that is slightly lower than the front bead, makes for a nice sight. The only thing I didn't like, is when pushing the slide release, if you don't get your finger out of the way, the slide will pin it between the slide and trigger guard. But overall I like it, and it was only $339.99. I might head back over there tomorrow and pick it up depending on how my bank account looks.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"