Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 887

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulHead77 View Post
Blasted it off today, put 250 rounds through it shooting skeets and another box of 3 1/2 " mags to pattern it for turkey, not one single jam and she shoots and handles like a charm. I also fitted a limbsaver on it for those heavy turkey loads I use. All in All this shotgun is great not sure where the negative hype comes from, but I can tell you this, its just that, all hype from a bunch of people with only opinions and more than likely never even fired one. Like the saying goes about opinions, everbody's got one, indeed the ones who have clue are those aholes. Glad you like the 500 I had one when I was a kid and hunted the **** out of it, the tactical mossy 500 is a great firearm, enjoy!!!
yeah i figured it was all hype. Remington is a pretty reliable company, i'd say. I love my Mossy500, it's the second one i have owned. That being said I could have lived without a second one, maybe i will get that nitro mag tac after all.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence
yeah i figured it was all hype. Remington is a pretty reliable company, i'd say. I love my Mossy500, it's the second one i have owned. That being said I could have lived without a second one, maybe i will get that nitro mag tac after all.
The bolt and trigger housing of the 887 make the 500 seem juvenile in comparison. The nitro mag tac is by far way better looking IMO. I think I may get the smaller barrel for mine just to deck it out with pistol grip and a few other mods i.e. tac choke etc...

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Remington 870 & 887 NitroMag 28"
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890

Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #13

If you watch the flyway highway you would get a good pitch for the 887 nitrogen mag. Everyshow he gives the same 45 second pitch verbatim. Its "rocksolid reliable with armor coating so it virtually impervious to rust" an "with the remington name you simply can't beat it."

Gets old fast, but they kill birds so its ok. I held the 887 five seconds and put it back. The forestock design didn't cut if for me. But thats just me. Im sure its "rocksolid reliable" i just didn't like the feel.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hear ya on how it feels and ergonomics are essential when purchasing a shotgun or rifle. For example my Ruger mini 14 just feels so much better when I hold it in the prone supported because where my forearm rests opposed to my old bushmaster ORC, where it was too fricken short and always felt wierd due to the closeness of where my forearm rested. The same thing goes for my current shotguns, with the mossy I have to fully extend my forearm just to get a good grip, whereas the M887 I can relax my ARM and bend it a little, which IMO is essential for follow up shots. Just plain physics had made my decision on getting the 887. No complaints to report from here. Looking forward to baggin a few turkeys this weekend followed by some pheasant in a couple more weeks, don't think I'm bringing the mossy along in any if those trips..

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890

Old 10-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey I'm a little late to the conversation but still wanted to add my 2 cents. I own the 887 tactical 18", or is it 18.5? Whatever. I love the shotgun. It's friggin awesome. The mere sight of it makes people uneasy. It's very intimidating looking. Not that looks are important, but when they come with a package like the 888, it's kind of nice. I've shot a few hundred rounds through mine now. I bought it at the beginning of summer. I had some problems with it jamming on 2 3/4" shells but none at all with 3". Actually it was mainly when the gun was first being broken in. It made me a little uneasy when i did anweb search for "problems with 887 tactical". But i decided to stick it out because not everyone had the same issues and i purchased mine in the 3rd year of production. Most bugs worked out at that point. I paid $419 for mine so I would say $320 was a sweet deal. I'm glad I hung onto mine. I love it and all my friends love it as well. The super cell recoil pad does exactly what it's supposed to do. I'm rambling, but good buy on the shotgun and enjoy shooting!!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Glad you like yours, I agree that the tactical version is pretty bad ass, I really wish that I could install a picattiny rail on mine for deer hunting. Anyways here's my turkey hunting report. I went out to Cabelas and picked up a jellyhead ported choke tube, fits great but had to take it off to fit into my gun case. So I kept the modified choke tube in and forgot to put the turkey choke back in when I got about thirty minutes out into the woods I realized lol. Needless to say I called in a flock of Jakes anyways with my modified choke tube installed and loaded with Federal 3 1/2" #4 shot turkey rounds. It took me under ten minutes to call them into my position and I liked up two birds and that's it 2 shots and two birds just under 40 yards out with a mod choke.

forumrunner_20111009_072424.jpg  

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890

Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I lined up two birds, not liked!!! Needless to say this is an awesome hunting shotgun. I will send out my pheasant hunting report next weekend followed by my waterfowl hunting report, with the Remington M887 nitro mag. Till then keep shooting guys!!!

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890

Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #18

Looking for a good affordable shotgun not sure on the Remington or mossberg any advice?

Old 10-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugan View Post
Looking for a good affordable shotgun not sure on the Remington or mossberg any advice?
It's an endless debate, that has a million threads. Please search the forum, I'm sure you will find all the information you need. Drop into the introductions section and introduce yourself.

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As PowerViolence stated there are endless debates on which 12g is the best. My response to your inquiry would be, what are you going to use it for, home defense or hunting/skeets trap? Are you looking for a pump action or an autoloader? Definitely look at either a Mossberg 835, 500, or 535. These are a little cheaper than the Remmy's, but if you do go with a Remm, then your best bet is to go with the 887 or 870 and the 11-87 is a reasonably priced autoloader if that's what your looking for. But you could always get a Maverick home defense shotgun for like $250.

S&W M&P 45
Glock 23 & 26
Saiga 223
Mossberg 535 ATS
Winchester Model 1890