Remington 870 XCS Marine Magnum -- Functionality in wet weather?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 XCS Marine Magnum -- Functionality in wet weather?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 870 XCS Marine Magnum -- Functionality in wet weather?

So many questions from a new Shotgun owner ... must irritate you guys a lot. Lol.

My question is a simple one. Assuming that I was ever in a position that required me to carry my Remington outside during a very raining night (think: down-poor). How would it operate under those conditions? Also, how would that affect the ammunition and reloading?

And what about mud, and the like? Such as if it fell into the mud, or something?

I'm just trying to get an idea.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Firearms will shoot in a downpour (guns and ammo tv did a segment shooting a 1911 under water in a pool), so I would assume the shell is the weak point. You could always do a test (think safety while you perform this test). Go out and buy several brands/types of shells and run a hose over them for a few minutes. Then try firing them. The ones that fire would be the one to carry.

Sportsman's Guide was carrying a full brass shell made by some russian company. They might be the most water resistant, since there was no seam where the brass would normally meet the plastic casing. You'd only have to worry about water breaching the front.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 208 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just a walk in the rain/snow/mud??? No problem. Duck and goose hunters do it all
the time. Weak spot is the ammo--specifically the crimp and primer. Modern plastic
hulled stuff is DARNED good, but if I were going to leave ammo constantly exposed to
drenching I might seal the crimp and primer with a little clear nail polish.

The gun----walk in the rain no problem. Constant exposure to nasty weather, such
as a gun onboard a boat brings up a few other issues. Many of the super-duper
weatherproof/stainless/wonder finish guns are the same as the plain jane ones internally.
Steel parts, carbon steel springs, nothing special. Constant and prolonged exposure
to a bad environment can turn them into a rusted lump inside. Sounds like that's not
your situation. Just clean it and lube it after your midnight walk on the wild side, and
it should be OK.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Billm nailed it in his post & +1 on that info.

Here in Washington just about every weapon that leaves the door of the shop is going to get wet at some point in it's life. As long as you clean it up afterwards and don't throw it in the bottom of the closest still caked in muck, you will be fine.

If you have a ton of salt water exposure, then I would be more likely to recommend some internal parts changed out and more thorough cleaning regiment, but standard old rain? You'll be fine if you clean it up nice and don't make a habit of taking it swimming with you.

JD

Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 AM   #5

If a firearm is going to be exposed to weather, I would recommend considering BearCoat as a finish.
By finishing each and every part with Teflon, on top of parkerizing, there is no chance of anything rusting.....and game blood wont even affect the metal !

www.bearcoat.com