Remington 870 wingmaster sticking
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Remington 870 wingmaster sticking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Remington 870 wingmaster sticking

Hey folks. I have a gun in the shop right now. Remington 870 wingmaster, old gun. It's as old as before the started cutting the "u" into the shell carrier to prevent lockup, which I just experienced with snap caps, not fun. The action is smooth up until the point the bolt is in the very rear...

The action sticks and you have to force it back and then pulling the action back to home position (forward) takes around 10 pounds of force. The shell latch on the right is sticking a bit so I wonder if buying a new one of those would fix it.

Right now I am confused with it. I have no idea why the action is sticking so badly. I took a flashlight to it and all I can see is right when the action becomes sticky, that shell latch makes contact with the action bar.

Do I call remington? Do I order a shell latch and *hope* it works?

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2014, 01:21 AM   #2

Liked 191 Times on 142 Posts

Step one, download an owner's manual and read it. Then pull the trigger group and then look and see what's binding. It may just be real dirty inside..
Old 05-30-2014, 01:27 AM   #3

Virg, the owner's manual doesn't say anything about a lockup situation. I have owned many 870 shotguns and worked on a fair share of them. I already pulled the trigger group, broke it down to every last part, cleaned and then oiled it. I am going to polish the shell latch and the action arms to see if that gets rid of the problem, if not I will have to buy some new parts.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 AM   #4

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Does it work freely when empty?
If it sticks even when empty then try it with the trigger group removed. Does it still stick?
Quote:
The shell latch on the right is sticking a bit
Take it out and try the gun without the shell latch. Can you see serious rub marks on the shell latch?
The forearm is not rubbing is it?
The point it is sticking is about where the hammer is cocked - are you sure the hammer is not the problem?

Old 05-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

Are the action arms bent or twisted. At the very back of the stroke is a rare place to have an issue because all the interaction between the action arms and shell latches and disconnector are all done by then. The last thing I can think of would be where the action arm depresses the left shell latch and releases another shell from the mag. Is the notch in the action arm battered? It should be cut at about a 45 degree angle.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

Liked 327 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Saw a rear stick situation on a new 870, but there the trigger group's pin holes were a little off (needed new trigger housing).

Old 05-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #7

The stick is the same with the trigger group removed.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:23 PM   #8

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
The stick is the same with the trigger group removed.
Then it is the action bars, shell latches, the forearm, or a damaged mag tube.
You could remove the shell latches on at a time and see if it still sticks. You will have to determine if it is the shell latch and/or the action bars.
It is looking like maybe Virginian is correct!

Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 AM   #9

The action bars are bent in a funky way, like they were not meant for that model. They curve inwards and the slide and bolt pry them out so it can fit. It is the wierdest 870 I have ever worked on...

I think 85% of the problem are the shell latches. I need to take them out when I get time.

I also am going to see if the customer wants me to upgrade the shell carrier to the new ones with the cut out.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #10

You need the different shell latch and a new bolt carrier for a working Flexitab conversion. And the new carrier has different cut outs to fit the action bars than the old ones.