remington 870 vs mossberg 500 - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

remington 870 vs mossberg 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #31
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2497 Times on 1512 Posts
Likes Given: 13683

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
owning one and shooting them until they seize up is a different thing.
ive never seized up an 870.

500? yep.
part of that is possibly due to the aluminum receiver on the 500. I know I had to smooth out and reblue my action bar (yep, only one on the pre-1989 models) on my 88 at about the 16 year mark. this was also at about 1500 shells through it as well. Light weight is nice when you still hunt all day, but it does come at a price. Most often the price is harsher recoil. other times it is having to replace parts.

Most folks don't even come close to shooting 1000 rounds out of a pump gun in the time they own it. that's probably why this is almost unheard of.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Last edited by kfox75; 03-20-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
part of that is possibly due to the aluminum receiver on the 500. I know I had to smooth out and reblue my action bar (yep, only one on the pre-1989 models) on my 88 at about the 16 year mark. this was also at about 1500 shells through it as well. Light weight is nice when you still hunt all day, but it does come at a price. Most often the price is harsher recoil. other times it is having to replace parts.

Most folks don't even come close to shooting 1000 rounds out of a pump gun in the time they own it. that's probably why this is almost unheard of.
my Maverick 88 must be a bit newer than yours, as it has dual action bars. i bought mine used at a great price. i have no idea as to how many were shot through it before i got it, but i have shot a couple thousand through since i have owned it. that shotgun is IMO dang near indestructable! my forst dealings with a Maverick 88 was about 12-13 years ago when i bought a Security Model with the 8 round tube and a 20" barrel. it too was built like a tank and shot everything i put through it. i sold it to a close friend years ago, but owned it long enough to appreciate it's rugged durability. new, the Maverick is great shotgun for those on a limited budget for hunting or SD/HD uses.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #33

Liked 84 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I went through this debate not that long ago. Mossbergs have never felt totally right to me, they seem a little more clunky, I dont care for the "light" feel of the aluminum receiver, and they just dont LOOK as good to me, either the 500's or the 590's. However, ALLLLLLLL of the above is simply personal preference.

Either way you do will be totally fine I'm sure. As mentioned there are millions of these guns in circulation, and millions of people backing them both up.

I ended up with an 870 Police magnum. A few small upgrades Vs. the 870 expresses, think of the Police Magnum as the 'working' version of the Wingmaster, because thats what it is (not saying wingmasters dont put in work, just referring to the finish and whatnot).

I just ran this things through several hundred rounds (about 450 i think? mixture of bird buck and slugs) in a 4 day tactical shotgun class, and didn't have a single malfunction. I did not clean or lube the shotgun.

What I will say on shotguns, from my experience, less is more. I had a side saddle for it then took it off after the first day of the class because it offered me no benefit. The simpler, the better.

As for the 1500-2000 shotguns, no thanks. I wouldnt trade my 870 pump in on a benelli or beretta semi auto, as I am convinced there is almost no advantage to a semi unless it has a magical unlimited supply of ammo INSIDE THE MAG TUBE. When you get to single shots and port loading for multiple targets, its all the same pump or semi.

And those stupid video game guns like the KSG and UTS-15 are junk. Guys running those things had nothing but trouble. Hell, the guy with the KSG actually broke it because he had a type 3 malfunction (FWIW to clear a type 3 in a normal pump you basically rack roll rack roll and dont have to move your hands from the firing position) It's okay though, he just pulled out his spare one and went back to the class....FWIW the 2nd one he had still sucked.

K.I.S.S. is my motto when it comes to shotguns.

remington 870 vs mossberg 500 - General Shotgun Discussion

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Last edited by Dr. Marneaus; 03-20-2014 at 09:18 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #34

Liked 84 Times on 45 Posts

and let me just comment, my opinions are based on what works for me, and what I have personally observed.

To each his own, and I'm not going to knock you for what you like. As mentioned, that's all based on what works for me, and what I have personally seen with my own two eyes, or experienced in my own life.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
People Like This 
Old 03-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #35
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2497 Times on 1512 Posts
Likes Given: 13683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
my Maverick 88 must be a bit newer than yours, as it has dual action bars. i bought mine used at a great price. i have no idea as to how many were shot through it before i got it, but i have shot a couple thousand through since i have owned it. that shotgun is IMO dang near indestructable! my forst dealings with a Maverick 88 was about 12-13 years ago when i bought a Security Model with the 8 round tube and a 20" barrel. it too was built like a tank and shot everything i put through it. i sold it to a close friend years ago, but owned it long enough to appreciate it's rugged durability. new, the Maverick is great shotgun for those on a limited budget for hunting or SD/HD uses.
I would bet that it was. I forget if it was in 92 or 93, but the older ones had hust the one action bar as mine did. Even with the aluminum receiver, that thing was built like a tank. I think the worst problem I ever had with it more than once involved my father, and it happened every deer season. My dad would decide at about 09:00 hours that he was tired of sitting in his tre stand, so he would go out and still hunt for the next couple of hours. He had a Mossberg model 550 that had about 5 pounds on my Maverick. He would slowly work his way over to where I sat, hand me his shotgun, and then go out to spot and stalk with mine. i asked him why after the third or fourth time this happened. His response, "Yours is lighter." used ti pizz me off everytime he did it.

Funny thing is, since he stopped hunting in 2000, I actually niss him doing this. go figure.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-23-2014, 02:04 AM   #36

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I spend a lot of time around shotguns. I have never seen any kind of pump shotgun get locked up, even with steel cased ammo. One skeet range near here is very busy. I hear of all kinds of things happening to shotguns but a pump locking up is not something that comes up very often. On Saturdays you always see someone shooting a pump.

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-23-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #37

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nice looking shotgun Dr. How many does the mag hold?

Old 03-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #38

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts

All I can think is that the Remington 870 has a more sleek trigger guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #39

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default remington 870 vs mossberg 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I went through this debate not that long ago. Mossbergs have never felt totally right to me, they seem a little more clunky, I dont care for the "light" feel of the aluminum receiver, and they just dont LOOK as good to me, either the 500's or the 590's. However, ALLLLLLLL of the above is simply personal preference.

Either way you do will be totally fine I'm sure. As mentioned there are millions of these guns in circulation, and millions of people backing them both up.

I ended up with an 870 Police magnum. A few small upgrades Vs. the 870 expresses, think of the Police Magnum as the 'working' version of the Wingmaster, because thats what it is (not saying wingmasters dont put in work, just referring to the finish and whatnot).

I just ran this things through several hundred rounds (about 450 i think? mixture of bird buck and slugs) in a 4 day tactical shotgun class, and didn't have a single malfunction. I did not clean or lube the shotgun.

What I will say on shotguns, from my experience, less is more. I had a side saddle for it then took it off after the first day of the class because it offered me no benefit. The simpler, the better.

As for the 1500-2000 shotguns, no thanks. I wouldnt trade my 870 pump in on a benelli or beretta semi auto, as I am convinced there is almost no advantage to a semi unless it has a magical unlimited supply of ammo INSIDE THE MAG TUBE. When you get to single shots and port loading for multiple targets, its all the same pump or semi.

And those stupid video game guns like the KSG and UTS-15 are junk. Guys running those things had nothing but trouble. Hell, the guy with the KSG actually broke it because he had a type 3 malfunction (FWIW to clear a type 3 in a normal pump you basically rack roll rack roll and dont have to move your hands from the firing position) It's okay though, he just pulled out his spare one and went back to the class....FWIW the 2nd one he had still sucked.

K.I.S.S. is my motto when it comes to shotguns.

remington 870 vs mossberg 500 - General Shotgun Discussion
I have the M590a1, but damn that 870 right there is one sexy beast. Love the wood furniture on it, my man part jumped a lil bit when i seen it lol, I'm not biased when it comes too a quality product, so I too will own an 870p 1 day. Can't go wrong with either but when I do get my 870 with wood that's when I'm enforcing the k.i.s.s philosophy...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited by glockcoma; 03-26-2014 at 05:39 AM.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #40

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

If you are talking about the difference between an 870 express and a 500 it depends on which one feels better while beating a dead horse. An 870 Wingmaster is worlds away a better gun than both. Please don't judge 870's by the budget brand.