Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   remington 870 vs mossberg 500 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/remington-870-vs-mossberg-500-a-104489/)

icallshotgun88 02-26-2014 07:11 AM

remington 870 vs mossberg 500

This goes out to all the individuals deciding on which one to get...

Its the age old question...Remington 870 or Mossberg 500?

I bought both and decided to see which one i liked best.
I tried both and tried many different configurations.
I'd consider myself an extremely objective person and highly unbiased. Here's what I've found..

It really comes down to the SETUP you will have on your shotgun...

With a PISTOL GRIP the 870's safety and slide release will be much easier to operate...just try a disengaging a mossberg's safety with a pistol grip. its not difficult (obviously) but its not as efficient as the 870 with a pistol grip.
With the 870, the the safety is much easier to disengage than the Mossberg's (WITH a pistol grip) and same thing goes for the slide release...

BUT....

The Mossberg is a better choice for a standard shotgun setup WITHOUT a pistol grip simply because you can be more efficient with operating the safety and slide release. It just works better.
The slide release can be easily operated with your middle finger while the safety can be easily disengaged with your thumb...but WITH a pistol grip it is much less efficient.

Of course you can be good with whatever setup you like on either gun as long as you practice, but it wont be more "efficient"...

In CONCLUSION, if you're going to run a pistol grip (wether home defense or turkey hunting) the 870 has a better design. On the other hand, if you're looking for a standard grip then the Mossberg has a more efficient design.

LASTLY, obviously there are other considerations for buying shotguns other than how efficiently thy operate with your desired setup...so heres what I've found...

1. The 870 is a slightly simpler design and easier to break down and clean...which i understand isn't that big of an advantage.

2. The Mossberg has a flat head screw holding down its ejector whereas the 870's is pinned; therefore, if anything were to go wrong with the ejector, the Mossberg would be an easy fix, whereas with the 870 you may need to bring it to a gunsmith.

...both guns come in so may friggen styles and configurations that you're destined to find exactly what you're looking for with either gun...thats just my $0.02

I always appreciated taking others' advice from this forum so I thought I'd share...

icallshotgun88 02-26-2014 07:16 AM

i guess this thread just shows which one is more efficient with or without a pistol grip setup...

i understand that maybe some people don't care about operating efficiently..

maybe youre just using this shotgun for trap/skeet or something where operating efficiency of the safety and slide release is not of any importance...

in that case...chose either one

an abundance of parts and aftermarket accessories are available for both...have fun! ;)

DrFootball 02-26-2014 07:40 AM

Thanks for the insight. Never had the 500 but have other products. My first two shotguns were 870's...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Virginian 02-26-2014 11:26 AM

Most overworked topic on the internet. Whichever way you go, you have over 10 million people on your side. And over 10 million on the other side. And every one of them has an opinion.

DP03 02-26-2014 12:35 PM

I don't take sides on this. I have a 590A1 configured exactly the way I want it and love it. So much fun to shoot. But I'd also love to have an 870, as everyone seems to love them and I don't read anything but great things........someday I'll have both :)

JonM 02-26-2014 12:46 PM

Having used both i own a 590 and will never buy a 870.

One huge issue with the 870 is the loading gate blocks the mag tube. This is very annoying when hunting or shooting skeet or trap. I do use my 590 for trap and usually end up in the upper end of finishers much to the dismay of the less tactically inclined. You can set up a 500 for sporting use very easily

Double extractors very positive ejection versus the 870 single.

Trigger pack of the 500 series makes carrying a spare if your hunting pretty simple to most shotty issues.

Locking lug which allows the 500 to get away with using a lightweight aluminum reciever as the bolt design of the 500 series locks steel to steel eliminating the need of the reciever to endure those stresses. Carry a 870 for while in the field then switch to a 500/590 you will see a big diff.

Vincine 02-26-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginian (Post 1516786)
Most overworked topic on the internet. Whichever way you go, you have over 10 million people on your side. And over 10 million on the other side. And every one of them has an opinion.

au contraire. I think the most overworked topic is the 9mm/.40/.45 debate. Maybe the Glock vs. everything else, or the .223/5.56 questions. Lets start a thread on which debate is better.

Virginian 02-27-2014 02:17 AM

Having shot both, and owned both, I will never own another Mossberg. I greatly prefer the Remington's ergonomics. If the loading gate is too tough for you, definitely get a Mossberg. I never notice it or knew it was a problem in over 40 years.

rb522 02-27-2014 04:44 AM

Own both, never had an issue with either one . I think both are fine firearms, and would not criticize someone for their choice. Shoot and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

therewolf 02-27-2014 06:28 AM

I own a Mossberg 500. Standard composite stock. Kicks like a mule

on crack. The 870s I've used have less recoil. The Mossberg, IMO,

is lighter, and cycles a little better.