Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Remington 870 trigger guard/storage (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/remington-870-trigger-guard-storage-39155/)

rossotwotwotwo 03-01-2011 06:29 AM

Remington 870 trigger guard/storage

Hi I just purchased this shotun for home defense and have been researching the different ways to store this gun, and I know this topic is beaten to death, but I have a specific question I was unable to find anywhere, so here it is.

I live with 6 other people in this house with plenty of visitors in and out, so I want to be as safe as possible with this without sacrificing it's intent for me which is home defense. I want to eventually get a safe to put it in during the day while I am at work, but I don't have the funds for that.

I keep the shotgun in my room and the door is locked, but that doesn't put my mind at enough ease to leave it at that. Despite the recommendation to not put the trigger guard on a loaded firearm...which I agree with completely and know all the reasons why...I put it on with the shotgun unchambered and the magazine full, with the action closed and the firing pin cocked. I do this because the trigger guard that comes with the remington 870 encloses the slide release, and when it is cocked, the slide locks and no one can pick up the shotgun and chamber a round.

I just want to be as safe as possible without having to unload the shells everytime I leave the house...but I have a feeling this will be the only way I will fully be able to put my mind at ease.

Also, I know this has been beaten to death too, but one of the reasons I bring this up is because this requires keeping the firing pin cocked, and I've heard negative things about that.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.

EDIT:
There's no question I guess, I just would like to hear what more experienced people have to say about it, and I couldn't find this specifically anywhere.

Missileman 03-01-2011 01:40 PM

I think in your situatiuon there is no problem with what you are doing--you've taken a sane and safe approach. Keeping the 870 cocked isn't a problem either--the spring can take it and someday if you want to replace the spring it's an easy swap. Good luck.

masterPsmith 03-01-2011 02:05 PM

There is no problem keeping it in that condition of readyness. I would though practice a readyness drill often with a totally empty shotgun so it becomes second nature to release the slide and chamber a round. This will allow you to chamber a round without fumbling if a situation (god forbid) ever arises that you need it.

Jim.........

ninjatoth 03-01-2011 02:48 PM

ShotLock Shotgun Vault :: ShotLock.com

rossotwotwotwo 03-02-2011 02:45 AM

thanks everyone, it's a bit reassuring. I was half expecting to be berated for my unsafe practices. And yes, the only thing that sucks about keeping the shotgun cocked and unchambered is that in the event I do (god forbid) need to use it in a dire situation, the slide release needs to be pressed in order to chamber it. Thanks again.