Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 tactical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 870 tactical

I have a Remington 870 youth model shotgun, and I was thinking of making it a tactical shotgun. Does anyone know if it is worth it and or places to look for stuff to do it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2009, 02:40 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The pieces and parts are easy to find. Brownells or Midway USA are two places that carry several brands (mesa tactical or choate for example) of tactical parts for the remington.

Now, should you do it? Well, if you really want to save money and use a gun you already own, you could legally cut down the barrel to 18.5" and buy a magazine extension (to let it hold a couple more rounds) and big safety button (making it easier and quicker to turn off safety).

If it REALLY is for home defense, it doesn't have to look nice or have a bunch of fancy accessories hung from it. If you want it to LOOk nice, you'll wind up spending more on a tactical barrel and other parts than you would on a new tactical model.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

TPAM has it right, the short stock on the youth is great for HD guns, just take an appetite suppressant on the "tacticool" stuff. Mag extension, maybe a side saddle and a surefire foregrip and ghost rings and let it rest. IMO

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 AM   #4

I really don't have to cut down the barrel. It already has a 20 in on it so i can put a 8 round extension instead of a 7 in.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:32 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnossaman View Post
I really don't have to cut down the barrel. It already has a 20 in on it so i can put a 8 round extension instead of a 7 in.
Yeah, twenty inches is close enough to the minimum allowed. I wouldn't bother cutting it either. But even my 18.5" barrel is hard to maneuver through the home when I hear something odd.

The best thing you could do with your firearm is unload it and practice working through the rooms of your house. Figure out how to use the gun and a flashlight at night, which are the harder rooms to "clear", etc...

Old 02-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
TPAM has it right, the short stock on the youth is great for HD guns, just take an appetite suppressant on the "tacticool" stuff. Mag extension, maybe a side saddle and a surefire foregrip and ghost rings and let it rest. IMO
+ 1 on the bling hill.

If it's truly a HD weapon, who gives a sh1t what it looks like. What more does it need to do besides going click-boom every time you ask it to?

Another thing, if your not a LEO, and/or do not hold a current/recent deer tag, you have no business/excuse (except intent) having a scatter-gun loaded with 00 buck or slugs.

The more tacticool it is (or lethal the load), the easier the prosecutor's job is to show intent as he waves your gun around the court room showing it to the jury!

Presto; the less believable your 'self-defense' story becomes!

Be safe out there and remember to always use your most powerful weapon first, your brain.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Another thing, if your not a LEO, and/or do not hold a current/recent deer tag, you have no business/excuse (except intent) having a scatter-gun loaded with 00 buck or slugs.

The more tacticool it is (or lethal the load), the easier the prosecutor's job is to show intent as he waves your gun around the court room showing it to the jury!

Presto; the less believable your 'self-defense' story becomes!
Here in TX, you are allowed to defend your home properly. I wouldn't go riding around town with a street sweeper, but anyone that attempts to harm my family will need to understand my legal right to defend with lethal force. I don't WANT to ever use that right, but I will if it comes down to my wife and children vs. some criminal...

Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yeah, but Texas is a special case. They are the only state allowed to have their flag at the same height as the American Flag at State and Government Buildings. That alone says something.

I believe they still have the right to Succeed if they don't like the way things are going.

In Texas a prosecutor who goes after a hard working family man in a self defense situation will probably be out of office faster than the trial can proceed.

In Kalifornia he will be the next Governor....

JD

Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
Here in TX, you are allowed to defend your home properly. I wouldn't go riding around town with a street sweeper, but anyone that attempts to harm my family will need to understand my legal right to defend with lethal force. I don't WANT to ever use that right, but I will if it comes down to my wife and children vs. some criminal...
janikphoto, you really missed my point. Here in FL we also have the castle doctrine which states;

"The bill permits a person to use force, including deadly force, without fear of criminal prosecution or civil action for damages, against a person who unlawfully and forcibly enters the person's dwelling, residence,or occupied vehicle. Additionally, the bill abrogates the common law duty to retreat when attacked before using deadly force that is reasonably necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm."

I have no problem defending and protecting if forced to do so.

I do think there are times when the use of a 12 # sledge hammer is entirely appropriate to kill a house fly. I do not however, sense the obligation to do so.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^ You also need a hug.

JD