Remington 870 or Mossberg 500?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 or Mossberg 500?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 870 or Mossberg 500?

I am looking into purchasing a shotgun, these two are the most popular brands that come up when I talk to people about them. I am interested in skeet shooting, but also I am thinking of turkey hunting.

I know there are several models of each and I am not sure which is best for hunting/skeet without a lot of modifications. Also I would like to know where are the best places to get them local gun stores or big box stores. Reason I ask is I am 23 and in the local shops here they ignore me instantly, and the big box stores just seem like they don't know anything and they just want to sell you whatever.

Last edited by Hadouken; 03-05-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2722 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Hadoukin,

A great place to go is to a local gun show sometimes. Sometimes if you stand around outside you will see some guys coming in bringing shotguns in you can offer and make a good deal. Also the Gun Show itself, a reputable dealer or even Gun Broker. Most shotguns can be evaluated by looking at them as far as wear. Look at the finish.(Be sure it is not finished) Look at the Bolt Face for wear. If they look good it probably is a good gun. Most are never used that much anyway unless the guy is a skeet or trap shooter or a constant hunter. I would suggest the Remington 870 Standard Models since you can find barrels easily for them. For Example I have an 870 with three barrels. So it will fit every need I have for a shotgun. Deer Slug Rifle Sight Barrel, 26" Improved for Quail and similar game. Full Choke for Duck, Coyotes, Pheasant!
Nothing wrong with the Mossberg either. I have a Model 500. I like them but prefer the Remington 870. The 870 certainly have stood the test of time.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Rem 870's are the Cadillac and Mossberg 500's are the Lincoln of shotguns. I've got two of each and they both have performed flawlessly over the years.

While the 500 can be accessorized, the 870 has more add-on parts available and can be modified more easily.

Go to a Gun Show where you can handle the firearms and see which one feels best for you. You won't be sorry with either one. Some like the safety location of the Mossberg and others don't. I like it myself.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #4

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Generally speaking,the 870 is more of an out of the box sporting gun meant to be in the woods alot,it has a magazine gate to keep out debris and has it's safety lined up the same as alot of sporting rifles,but also serves well as a defensive tactical gun.The Mossberg 500 is more of an out of the box tactical gun meant to be a defensive shotgun with easy access top safety and open magazine tube for fat tactical reloads,but also serves well as a sporting/hunting/skeet gun.I would go with the 870 myself,but there's nothing wrong with the 500 either.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #5

How about models? The 870 has the Express, shurshot, I think there are a couple of other models as well, Not sure how many with the 500 has. Which are the best for activities I am looking to do? Also my price range is $300-$400.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Generally speaking,the 870 is more of an out of the box sporting gun meant to be in the woods alot,it has a magazine gate to keep out debris and has it's safety lined up the same as alot of sporting rifles,but also serves well as a defensive tactical gun.The Mossberg 500 is more of an out of the box tactical gun meant to be a defensive shotgun with easy access top safety and open magazine tube for fat tactical reloads,but also serves well as a sporting/hunting/skeet gun.I would go with the 870 myself,but there's nothing wrong with the 500 either.
Some of that is true, but both have models meant for special purpose. I would not label either as one or the other, but then again I've been around them for a couple of decades.

Hadouken,

For your budget, I would look at a Mossy 500A, and then pick up a barrel or two. I would look at a used Mossy, as they can be had almost anywhere. I use the one I've had for nearly 25 years for hunting deer and turkey, and a couple of times a year for clays. I have a 28" smooth bore with chokes that I change out for what I am doing. It has served me very well for a long time.

Used in good condition, figure around $200, barrels around $80-150. If you get the 28" vent rib barrel, you can use it for hunting and clays. Get a 18.5" smooth bore for home defense. If, you want a rifled barrel for slugs later on, you can get that easily. I shoot rifled slugs when deer hunting, shot for turkey and game loads for clays...one barrel, one shotty.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

howdy. personally i would try to find a remington 870 wingmaster or express model used. the express is just a lesser refined version of the wingmaster. The finish isnt as nice, nor the wood.

There is nothing wrong with a mossberg, but after having both i would say it is more prone to wear over the years then a remington is. I've also owned a winchester 1300, maverick 88 and an ithaca 37. The maverick 88 is made by mossberg and uses a lot of the same parts including the barrel and stock. None of them are bad guns, its just my opinion that the remington will hold up longer with less wear.

You can get a remington for around 300 at walmart.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Some of that is true, but both have models meant for special purpose. I would not label either as one or the other, but then again I've been around them for a couple of decades.

Hadouken,

For your budget, I would look at a Mossy 500A, and then pick up a barrel or two. I would look at a used Mossy, as they can be had almost anywhere. I use the one I've had for nearly 25 years for hunting deer and turkey, and a couple of times a year for clays. I have a 28" smooth bore with chokes that I change out for what I am doing. It has served me very well for a long time.

Used in good condition, figure around $200, barrels around $80-150. If you get the 28" vent rib barrel, you can use it for hunting and clays. Get a 18.5" smooth bore for home defense. If, you want a rifled barrel for slugs later on, you can get that easily. I shoot rifled slugs when deer hunting, shot for turkey and game loads for clays...one barrel, one shotty.
I can spend a little more than what I gave, I would even say a little over $400 even. I am kind of picky about used guns, the experience of unboxing a brand new gun just feels great IMO. Academy sports has the 870 shurshot for $279 and the express for

While I was looking there I saw the Mossberg 935 shoots 3 and 3 1/2 inch shells, are they any good?

Also saw the Benelli Nova 12 ga for $379. Never really heard of Benelli brand before... how are they?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #9

For a hunting gun make sure you get a gun with removable chokes. You'll want to change them based on the days activities, deer hunting, rabbit hunting, turkey hunting, skeet shooting, etc.

A 12g is a good decision, you can hunt nearly anything with it.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2722 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Hadouken,

You may want to look into the Mossberg 935 if you are serious about one! I am not sure they will shoot anything but magnum shells reliably? You should check on that. Regarding the 870 Express. I would check on the cost and availability of extra barrels before I got away from the standard 870 Models. Maybe some of the guys here on the forum can give you some insight in that area regarding extra barrels for the express. I am not that familiar with the express models. Hard to beat the 870s.