Remington 870 express tactical 4% failure to eject. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 express tactical 4% failure to eject.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Apparently a quite common occurance on the less expensive gun, At our trap range I have seen quite a few guys with these guns, that were beating the butt on the ground trying to get them to eject.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #12

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

With the modern cheapie shells, I have seen 870s, 500s, Novas, and even a BPS being beat on the ground to eject a stuck shell. If you are having a problem, FIX IT. In the race to meet our ever increasing demand for the absolute cheapest thing that will go bang, manufacturers don't finish a lot of things as smooth as they used to. Sometimes they err in targeting no smoother than it has to be. Its not rocket science.

What could have happened... did.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #13

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Most of the time when a pump is hanging up shipping costs more than the bad part. Sometimes the cylinder needs buffing. I don't care if you have a benelli, browning, any gun plastic is going to get stuck in the chamber. A little steel wool and elbow grease will fix that.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6267 Times on 3518 Posts
Likes Given: 5854

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
With the modern cheapie shells, I have seen 870s, 500s, Novas, and even a BPS being beat on the ground to eject a stuck shell. If you are having a problem, FIX IT. In the race to meet our ever increasing demand for the absolute cheapest thing that will go bang, manufacturers don't finish a lot of things as smooth as they used to. Sometimes they err in targeting no smoother than it has to be. Its not rocket science.

And that's why some of us spend the extra money and buy Benellis.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 11-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #15

I don't buy them either, and I don't own a gun that has ever had an issue, but I have fixed my share. I don't think the target market for the cheap pumps is real gun people. I wonder what percentage of 870s and/or 500s never even get shot. Just get stuck behind the bedroom door. Maybe their economic model is sound - fix any they call about. Have to admit they are sure selling them.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #16

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I don't shoot as much as I used to shoot but I have always shot a pump. No I don't shoot clay with a regular 870. But the graded 870s are pretty much trouble free. Once in a blue moon a chamber gets fouled. We are talking maybe twice in 20 years. When I was really into skeet I was shooting 800 rounds a month. I have a 20 ga 500 I shoot sporting clays with. I shoot 200 rounds a month with the 20 gauge, it never fouls. I shoot both cheap shells and reloaded AA winchesters. I usually reload a hull five times.

I am just a weird bird in choices in shotguns. When I shoot a 12 or 20 ga I want a pump. 28 ga or 410 I want a citori.

This crazy old bird can throw 8 skeet in the air mount a maverick 88 and bust them all before they hit the ground. http://www.prlog.org/11495209-rose-hill-sporting-clays-larry-corbett-winner-in-world-tournament.html

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-03-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #17

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I have noticed the newer 870 express are starting to have a lot more issues. Remingtons quality has dropped a lot in recent years. I've also noticed they seem to be a lot easier to short stroke. That's always been that way though. For someone who doesn't shoot a lot, I'd probably say an 870 express would be fine. But if you shoot/hunt a lot, I'd look at a Mossberg, Nova, or ithica. A bps would also be worth looking at. Or if you're set on Remington, an 870 wingmaster. I still catch myself drooling over those from time to time.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 11-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #18

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Perhaps I am one of the lucky but I have had my 870 for years and have only once had an issue with it. A shell delayed discharge (reload) for nearly 3 seconds... I know the pin struck as I heard the audible click but it was as I turned the gun toward the sky to get max force racking the slide that it trimmed a tree branch above my head... Scared the hell out of me too...

Old 11-07-2012, 03:13 AM   #19

Every Remington 870 problem gets spread all over the internet. 99.9% of them appear to be a chamber not as smooth as it could be. Rather than fix it or call Remington, they go on the internet and whine. The long standing Beretta lifter problem never gets mentioned, the Benelli click gets swept under the rug. Such is the way of things. I guess when you spend a whole lot more on a gun you keep your troubles quiet.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #20

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Every Remington 870 problem gets spread all over the internet. 99.9% of them appear to be a chamber not as smooth as it could be. Rather than fix it or call Remington, they go on the internet and whine. The long standing Beretta lifter problem never gets mentioned, the Benelli click gets swept under the rug. Such is the way of things. I guess when you spend a whole lot more on a gun you keep your troubles quiet.
Very well put. I hunt with and shoot ocassional trap with my 870 Express. No problems and I am very confident it will go bang! Yes....others are correct in saying that attention to detail has dropped and probably less so in very expensive firearms. However there is a extreamly high volume of new 870's in the market and if you did the math the volume minus the complaints would be very, very low. Rather then "sell it" which seems to be everyone's war cry these days....just get it fixed or don't short stroke. We are masters at making everything disposable. This guy was looking for some help not asking for your opinions on the 870.