Remington 870 express tactical 4% failure to eject.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 express tactical 4% failure to eject.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 870 express tactical 4% failure to eject.

I took my gun to the range today and fired 100 shells of federal #8 target loads to test function. Out if those I had 4 that failed to eject.

No other problems, and with a finger flick they fell right out and I kept on rocking. Actually on two of them I tilted the gun over and they fell out.

Never had a failure to extract, or failure to feed, and every trigger pull went boom. Also should note I racked the slide with much force each time.

I cleaned and lubed prior to shooting, polished the chamber, and the sides of the mim extractor.

Any tips? This is my HD shotgun, so I want it to be flawless at 100/100. The 4 that failed to eject were minor, and cleared within a second, but I need 100%...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #2

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

Check your extractor and the rim of the shells. I have seen issues with both before.

What could have happened... did.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #3

Good call. I got an email back from J.D. at AIP tactical, and he said basically the same thing. The extractor was "biting" the cheap target ammo, and hanging on to it.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default No Surprise There!

Modern 870. Surprised it didn't lock closed too. How can you ever trust it again. Seriously. Sell it and get a more reliable Mossberg 500...

Old 10-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #5

I ran probably an additional 25 shells of Hornady 00 buck with no issue plus some slugs. The Federal target loads had soft steel rims. I won't be using Federal target loads when it counts.

I think Mossberg makes a fine shotgun, but I like a pistol grip stock, so for me the safety location on the 870 is placed better.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 AM   #6

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I like guns that work. If my mossberg hung up 4 times in a 100 rounds it would be at the shop right now. Blame the ammo for a broken gun. I shoot a lot of sporting clays. I don't recall my Mossberg ever biting into a case rim or malfunctioning in any way.

What's funny is I am about 75% of the shooter I used to be. I can still shoot any 870 express into a malfunction. They just can't take it when someone shoots em so fast it's hard to count the shots

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-30-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #7

After I put 100 rounds of Hornady 00 through it I will make the call.

I didn't "blame" cheap ammo, I simply started what occurred, and the response I got from a Swat certified Remington Law Enforcement armorer.

The failure to eject happened about every 20-30 rounds. If I am 20-30 rounds into a HD situation while using bird shot things have gone horribly wrong...

I understand people are very passionate about certain brands, and I appreciate every ones concerns.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have 2 newer 870's and they both do the same thing as yours. But mine do it about 30% of the time and it's with federal and winchester target loads. They refuse to eject the shells and it is very frustrating at best. I've had them apart and cleaned and inspected them both, they still refuse to eject every few rounds. I've since switched to a mossberg 500 and it runs like a top, no problems at all. My 870's see no use at all now and sit in my safe. I'd like to sell them but don't want to pass a problem onto someone else, thats just the way I am. Maybe someday I can find a fix for them.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5553 Times on 3142 Posts
Likes Given: 4863

You get what you pay for.

Never had a malfunction of any kind with my Benelli M-2.

Never had, or saw a malfunction on the range with the department's Remington 1100s either.

Saw many, many malfunctions with 870s. Mostly folks short stroking them.

Winston Churchill

Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I took out an old 33 year old remington 870 yesterday, I bought it a few weeks ago and been itching to try it, I shot a 100 rds of that federal ammo like you have it came in a blues box, 15 rds of winchester 00 buck and 5 rds of winchester slugs all 2 3/4 with out a problem. When I lived back in northern NY and hunted a lot, I had both remington and Mossberg pumps and I do not remember ever having a shell hang up. 4 times out of 100 is odd if your giving it with force as you said.

Rain, snow or sleet.... Mud, sand and dirt.... My GLOCK will work ;)

Last edited by PlasticGunner; 11-01-2012 at 08:05 PM.