Remington 870 EXPRESS MAGNUM help and advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 EXPRESS MAGNUM help and advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Remington 870 EXPRESS MAGNUM help and advice

Hey folks. Last night was the first night I had my brand new 870 Express magnum run home defense duty. I had 4 in the magazine but no shells in the chamber (mine is 4+1 but do to safety, I just keep 4 in the mag). Is this a good system? Now keep in mind, the gun is COMPLETELY stock. Wooden stock and foreend (wood is amazing color and quality). The barrel is 25" and the overall length is 46". I have a nylon side saddle that sits on the stock that gives me 5 extra rounds. I have 2 snap caps that I will play with and practice loading (before all the mothers chime in, YES the gun is safety checked and all that jargon, so please save both of us some time and don't make a comment about that.) I want to turn this gun into a semi-tactical shotgun. I don't know if the express magnum is strictly hunting, or if it is marketed also as home defense. Now obviously an 870 is an 870 so it will get the job done. I am not too concerned about the mag capacity, because 4 rounds of 00buck will send the guy running, and if need be I have the extra shells around. I plan on putting a magpul MOE foreend on it. Goes on amazon for $29 (you guys will come to find I am an amazon addict). Will that foreend work on the express magnum? Another thing is an extended mag tube. I just got word that a mag tube will not work on the hunting 870's because of the dimples in the spring. So is this the same with the magnum? Will I not be able to add a tube extension? And advice is purely appreciated. This is my first real shotgun and first DEDICATED home defense firearm. PLEASE leave any tips or anything that will help.

Thanks. You guys are amazing and have saved my ass a few times.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

Liked 274 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I use the same gun except a 23in barrel and it's plastic. On the side saddle I have 4 slugs and one extra round of 00 buckshot. I only load the tube also, it's loaded with Hornady Critical defense 00 buck.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
I use the same gun except a 23in barrel and it's plastic. On the side saddle I have 4 slugs and one extra round of 00 buckshot. I only load the tube also, it's loaded with Hornady Critical defense 00 buck.
Thanks. Where is the side saddle at on your gun? I know the stock foreend of the express magnum is not compatible with the side saddles that mount on the side of the 870's recievir. This is because the foreend is way too long and bumps into the saddle far before it can cycle. That is why I am getting the MOE foreend because it is shorter than the other one. If you are using the express magnum as a HD gun, you really should change the foreend out because it is excessively long. Thanks again!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #4

Liked 274 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Ops I meant stock shell holder not sure why I typed side saddle

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 04-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 227 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 463

I like the 870. There is no difference between your regular 870 and a "tactical" one other than the furniture. It will not make the gun any better or worse by putting a plastic stock on it. It is just for looks or for changing how comfortable it is for you to use. Why spend x ammount of money to make it "tactical" when it will not change the function of the gun? Not trying to tell you what to do, but just trying to save you money.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #6

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

The "Magnum" is EXACTLY the same as any other 870, except the ejector and ejector spring are a little different than the old 2-3/4" only guns, which haven't been made for 25 years.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1827 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

The 5-rounder nylon shot shell holder that is located on the buttstock. It is a sleeve that slides on and easy to remove.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
I like the 870. There is no difference between your regular 870 and a "tactical" one other than the furniture. It will not make the gun any better or worse by putting a plastic stock on it. It is just for looks or for changing how comfortable it is for you to use. Why spend x ammount of money to make it "tactical" when it will not change the function of the gun? Not trying to tell you what to do, but just trying to save you money.
I need to change the forened. A home defense forend should not obstruct the shell loader gate, which the stock one does. Going with the MOE foreend. Thanks!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
The 5-rounder nylon shot shell holder that is located on the buttstock. It is a sleeve that slides on and easy to remove.
Yes I have one and they are awesome.