Remington 870 Express
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 Express

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 870 Express

Hi all,
I'm new here and I'm hoping for some help...

I have a Remington 870 Express. Barrel Code: DH 33, this tells me that my shotgun was made in September of 1987 and is the 33rd off the production line. The shotgun is a 12ga. pump action with a 28" barrel. I'm the original owner and the shotgun doesn't have much use on it. It's in mint condition. I was wondering the value of the gun because I want to sell it since I don't have much use for it. I hope I have included enough info about my shotgun so that someone can give me a fair market resell price.

thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Take it to a gun dealer and ask what he would give you for it, and how much they would sell it for. If you still have the original box, that would help as well for sale. Also gunbroker.com may have some in the same condition. That would give you a good idea. Sorry if I'm not much more help.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't want to offend you but while Remington 870 Express shotguns are great shotguns-own 2 myself, they're not very high priced shotguns. I wouldn't think you'll be able to get over 250-300$ for it IF I'm right. Why sell it???? You MAY regret selling it later. If a gun suits me & shoots good, I'll never sell another. I've got a HUGE list of guns I sold/traded off that I regret deeply.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 699 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

$200 sounds about right. I see them at pawn shops for cheaper.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Take it to a gun dealer and ask what he would give you for it, and how much they would sell it for. If you still have the original box, that would help as well for sale. Also gunbroker.com may have some in the same condition. That would give you a good idea. Sorry if I'm not much more help.

Thanks for your reply.
I did that, the dealer (the biggest in my area) told me it was only worth a 100 bucks even though it was in great shape considering the age of it. Little did he know that I had seen the "used shotgun" rack in his store where he's trying to sell a Rem 870 Express 20 ga. about the same age for $499.

I have found that dealers usually try to give a bias opinion to sway yours.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #6

Liked 133 Times on 103 Posts

I had an Express back in the '80s, and I am here to tell you the ones they made in the '80s are quite a different animal than the ones they make today. Much better finished inside and out from what I have seen. I would point that out to prospective buyers. It ought to be worth more, but I think $175 to $200 is all you are going to be able to do. I got a cherry '76 Magnum Wingmaster last Fall for $225.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #7

I want to thank everyone for their replies.
I've decided to keep my shotgun. stalkingbear's & Virginian's posts made me reconsider. I'm going to get back in-touch with the gun and start shooting some skeet, and even if I don't, the shotgun looks great in my rifle cabinet along side all my rifles.
Here's something else that made me reconsider; a couple of weeks ago I had a friend (who is a shotgun fanatic) come back from gobbler hunting and heard that I had the Rem 870 for sale offered me 200 bucks, when I said no, he offered 300 bucks.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was purchasing my shotgun last week, and before I put ink to the page, the guy tried selling me a used 870. He claimed he knew the owner and that they treated the weapon well, but he wanted cash money only. Actually, he wanted more for the 870 used than for the Mossberg I was buying new.

So, I bought the Mossberg (which is what I intended to buy before I stepped foot in the store)

His price was $460 for the 870, used.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #9

Default 870

just to give you sum outside perpective a 870 express magnum in ireland second hand cost me 400 euros!! brand new 500 euros!!! im nly hear nyway cuz wanted to ask quick question bout d gun!! my 870 is camo on the stock and forend, wud it be handy enough for me to paint it so that it looked lik black sintethic??? or wud dat make a pure mess of it altoghter??

Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #10

Default Hang on to that 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I don't want to offend you but while Remington 870 Express shotguns are great shotguns-own 2 myself, they're not very high priced shotguns. I wouldn't think you'll be able to get over 250-300$ for it IF I'm right. Why sell it???? You MAY regret selling it later. If a gun suits me & shoots good, I'll never sell another. I've got a HUGE list of guns I sold/traded off that I regret deeply.
Well said. If I only had the cash from the guns that I bought, sold, and re-bought (some more than once).

I'd also suggest keeping the 870. It isn't eating much, and it's one heck of a good versatile shotgun that you will regret selling. This is coming from a guy that has had three,then one,then zero, now four! Ouch!

Last edited by YJGUY; 09-02-2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: spelling