Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 ejection problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default Remington 870 ejection problems

I bought my son a Remington 870 super mag and it has intermittent ejection problems the ejector grabs the shell but won't always pull it out. Any suggestions? My old 870 is flawless I know some have had problems with the newer ones.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 141

A few suggestions on where I'd start: 1) a good cleaning, 2) try some different ammo, 3) return it for warranty service (if new), 4) have a gunsmith check it out (if used). I've found the money I've spent at gunsmiths is well worth avoiding many headaches in the field.

Joe

Last edited by jp_over; 03-29-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts

You either have a chamber that is not as smooth as it could/should be, a chamber that has some build up, or an extractor that is sticky of the hook on it is broken or chipped. Cheap steel base shells will make any issue worse. I would look at everything, clean the chamber really good, and try different shells. If it is new and the chamber looks rough, call Remington and they will take care of you.

What could have happened... did.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #4

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I keep seeing this happen, hearing people complain and write about these problems, these days. Seems pretty common. I won't say how people get rid of the problem usually.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattShlock View Post
I keep seeing this happen, hearing people complain and write about these problems, these days. Seems pretty common. I won't say how people get rid of the problem usually.
It's funny you say that. I seem to remember someone on here saying all the people that say their quality has gone down hill are full of sh!t about a week ago. I just kept my mouth shut at the time and didn't bother to mention the number of brand new remingtons that have ended up on my bench. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 987

I agree with the Virginian, address the chamber first, its amazing how much gunk can collect there.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #7

Aside from those devotees of the theory that Cerebus is part of the Evil Empire, the 870 is a solid gun. Remington builds the lower end models to a price point. If that bothers you pony up the bucks.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #8

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Detroit had the same, brilliant, idea in the '70s.

But Virginian, people don't have to buy more expensive, fancier, arms like, let's say, a BPS to get a decent basic reliable pump shotgun. They just have to avoid Remingtons. I don't hear or see these issues with low end Benellis, the common Mossberg 500, etc.

It certainly didn't used to be this way but nowadays the best I read about modern Remingtons is "I got it working" or "mine has been OK so far." Not exactly great word-of-mouth. My Dad always believed that when a premium company came out with a cheaper product line they diluted their core product and eventually all of their manufacturing got dragged down to the lowest common denominator to save and make more money.

That sure seems to fit Remington like a shooting glove. Seems the 21st Century offspring squandered their inheritence. I would not be surprised if, after this recent gun and ammo craze is over, heaven willing, they go bankrupt.

Last edited by MattShlock; 03-29-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #9

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
It's funny you say that. I seem to remember someone on here saying all the people that say their quality has gone down hill are full of sh!t about a week ago. I just kept my mouth shut at the time and didn't bother to mention the number of brand new remingtons that have ended up on my bench. Lol
That was directed at the 700, nothing else. If you had "proof" you should have said something on that thread. Their shotguns are a different story.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #10

I have seen Novas, Mossbergs, and yes even BPSs being beat on the ground to try and eject the newer steel based shells. Remington did get lax with their chamber finishing at one time, and the legend lingers. I think the finish on the newer Expresses is better, and the higher end guns have never had a problem. It's a business cycle philosophy thing. Back when Toyota was on top of the world, Total Quality was the byword. But then the bean counters said it was more efficient to cut QA/QC costs and handle any issues through customer service. Enter the era of the Toyota recall. And issues with lots of other stuff. I have seen plenty of issues with plenty of guns. The hassle with the various customer service groups varies but you can usually, eventually, get satisfaction. Remington still does have good customer service. Mossberg's is usually pretty good too. Beretta is a challenge.
I wouldn't hesitate to get an Express, except I don't do plastic or flat finishes, but if I had a chamber issue I can fix it in 10 minutes with a hone. Or anything else that might go wrong with an 870.
I make no bones about it; I like Remingtons. They struggled for a long time trying to find a new design after their brain trust retired, but it looks like the VersaMax may be an answer. The Sportings have always been very good guns, the Wingmaster is the gold standard, I haven't seen a crappy 700, and I shoot them all well.