Remington 870 Disappointment - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 Disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #51
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1877 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 3878

I love my Remington 870. Loves slug and 00 Buck 2 3/4 size. I am not firing 3" 00 Buck.

LGS has a used Remington Model 887 Nitro Mag Tactical for $439. I will have to save my pennies!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2032 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 389

I have an older 870 express (1988) as well as an older 870 wingmaster (1977), both in 12 gauge. dependable as the day is long, thousands of shells, no jams (occasional short-stroke on the pump but not a mechanical). you can pick up pre-plastic-parts 870s for $200-300, wingmasters for 300-500 where I live. If you must have new, get a Benelli Nova - I bought one for my son, great shotgun, $400

Old 03-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #53

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I bought a Remington 870 Express a few months ago. I had heard of people having problems with cycling but mine didn't have a problem after the first 300 rounds. After the 300, I decided to give it my first real cleaning, other than just the bore. I did not disassemble and field strip, but I wiped the inside with No. 9 solvent on patches, then lubed with RemOil.

After doing this cleaning I went shooting yesterday and started having problems with cycling. By placing the gun in my hip and pulling the pump as hard as I could I could get it to cycle. It didn't do it with every shot but about every 10 stuck. Towards the end, the extractor failed to pull out the shell and just ripped the plastic around it completely, leaving the spent shell inside the barrel.

I would like to figure out if anyone has had any similar problems and if so what you have done to fix the problem.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #54

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

personally i've always preferred to have a Mossberg 500A and these experiences are not what i expected from a well, renowned, firearm and actually now that I think about it my lil' cousin had a 870 express and i had to strip the whole thing down and get that shell out. but i'd still not mind to own an older one with pretty wood furniture, but on my Mossberg i've got all black furniture

Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #55

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Remington up's their production every year, without extending deadlines. The end result is an increase in undesirable products.

Buy a Mossberg 835 and be happy.
The 835 turckey thug was my first and last pump shotgun ill buy. Rem sucks. Just look at how nice of a start they got off after buying marlin up. No one wants a 1st or even a 2nd year "remline" Big disapointment. Not a shocker tho.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #56

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

CMJ, welcome to the forum.

Your experience reinforces my decision not to buy any Remington firearms until The Freedom Group sells the brand to someone who 1. cares about firearms, 2. knows how to run a manufacturing operation and implement a QC program and 3. is willing to forego short term profit to rebuild the brand with high quality products and customer service.

I had problems last year with two new Remington rifles that needed to go back to the factory. One was so bad I had to contact the factory three times for different problems and my customer service experiences ranged from terrible to outstanding. In dealing with the company I ran down Big Green's Director of Service Operations in charge of warranty claims and customer service. He took the time to speak with me a couple times and take care of my issue. If you want his contact information feel free to send me a message.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #57

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Remington 870's do seem to be having problems since they introduced the Express'. No doubt about it. Love my old Wingmasters but they just don't make 'em like they used to. After telling them about the problem I had with a brand new Remlin rifle THEY told me to send it to a factory authorized repair center because the Ilion, NY, center was so backlogged. Then they charged me for a repair they said was going to be under warranty!!!

I'd consider another Marlin but not another Remington of any kind.

Last edited by MattShlock; 03-25-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #58
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1877 Times on 1085 Posts
Likes Given: 3878

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilSurp27 View Post
I bought a Remington 870 Express a few months ago. I had heard of people having problems with cycling but mine didn't have a problem after the first 300 rounds. After the 300, I decided to give it my first real cleaning, other than just the bore. I did not disassemble and field strip, but I wiped the inside with No. 9 solvent on patches, then lubed with RemOil.

After doing this cleaning I went shooting yesterday and started having problems with cycling. By placing the gun in my hip and pulling the pump as hard as I could I could get it to cycle. It didn't do it with every shot but about every 10 stuck. Towards the end, the extractor failed to pull out the shell and just ripped the plastic around it completely, leaving the spent shell inside the barrel.

I would like to figure out if anyone has had any similar problems and if so what you have done to fix the problem.
Mostly, I am firing either slugs, 00 and/or lead pellets usually 6, 7, 8 shot.

I usually fire 100 to 200 bird, 10 to 20 slugs/00.

Cleaning process is removing the barrel off and then using #9 Hoppe's cleaner with bore brush and using a wet patch over the bore brush and then dry with patch over the 12 gauge mop. Finally run the bore snake.

Last, using the fiber optic light looking down the bore.

Then, re-assemble and function check. I do not use Rem Oil!

Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #59

Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I hate to say it, but it appears at least to me that Remington has fallen into the same situation that Colt and Winchester suffer from. They're existing on their past reputations.

While in LE many years ago I favored the Ithaca model 37 Deerslayer, but liked the Remington 870, which were the only 2 shotguns issued by the dept. Back then I hunted with a Remington Classic in 30-06 with no complaints. My partner's son has owned it now for many years and has taken deer numerous times with it and it's worked flawlessly, as well as being a tack driver.

Back then I didn't hear of anyone that I knew personally having any trouble with Remington products, but times have changed. My friend purchased a real nice 870 in 20 ga. The summer before last while at the range shooting it for the first time the extractor broke. He had given it to the gunsmith at the range to repair it, which he did, but it's since left a bad taste in his mouth.

All manufacturers have difficulties with their products from time to time, but when you hear so many negative stories about Remington I think common sense dictates that you just have to think twice before purchasing one. I think this is fairly typical where quality control is concerned today in general involving many companies unfortunately.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #60

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think that my Remington 870 express works just fine. I bought my 870 back in 2010. Great gun took it out to the desert sand was blowing everywhere. Caked dirt all over and inside the gun and it still worked flawlessly. Threw it in gun bag and didn't touch it for months (no cleaning). Took it to the range again, no problems, ran like the champ she is lol. That's just my experience however.

image-1091611329.jpg