Remington 870 Disappointment - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 Disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

when did this freedom group acquisition occur?

I bought my 870 in 03, it's the home defender model with an extended mag tube and 18" barrel, no threads for a choke, wide open smooth bore.

I love that gun, I've fired thousands of rounds through it, not once has it ever malfunctioned. I think I've run the bore snake through it maybe twice? other than that, I have never really cleaned it. just a few drops of oil here, a few drops of oil there, and rack it!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #42

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Mr. Mopar should keep his 870!

As for the other stuff, if a gun has generally poor design, quality control, construction, and materials and you magically want others to fix your mistake after the fact of not having done more homework or having made a poor choice in spite of warnings, I'm not sure what else 870 owners could possibly want done for them.

At some point they are forced to admit the truth (though the most vocal will only admit it to themselves) and take personal responsibility. The sooner the better.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 12-22-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #43

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

HockaLouis, the anti Remington rants have gotten old. You are as entitled to an opinion as anyone else, but you have turned this into a crusade. Take care, your ego is showing.

What could have happened... did.

People Like This 
Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Hock: what specifically do you have against the 870 design? Police & military have been using it since the 1950s and they continue to buy & use it.

My brother is LEO and he was issued a short barrel 870 that has seen bu-co service & keeps on ticking despite exceedingly rough treatment and probably less maintenance then he would admit to.

The 870s reputation for reliability & dependability was one of the reasons why I bought my 870 to replace the Mossberg POS I had & sold. (Gold 20 ga w only one charging bar ) I paid $269 for the 870 Express 20 ga. A few years ago.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 12-23-2012 at 03:06 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #45
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1570 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 8011

Mossberg this! Remington that! I am personally getting tired of all the gun bashing. Both have good points, both have bad. Can't we all just agree to disagree, (no, instead we "dis" the gun).

I like Remingtons and Mossbergs. My wife loves her Mossbergs. The guns do not fight for territory late at njght in the safe. Granted, I have heard strange noises in the safe at night, and have found an 870 I swear I didn't buy.;

If my wife and I don't fight over which is better, why cant some of us on the forum. It goes back to a lesson learned in kindergarten, if not at home. If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Note: I did not say ALL Mossbergs nor did I just state my opinion but listed a specific problem - "one charging bar"

I actually agree w Hock about SD guns being reliable w ammo of choice. (Except nothing is 100%)

Old 12-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #47
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1570 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 8011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Note: I did not say ALL Mossbergs nor did I just state my opinion but listed a specific problem - "one charging bar"

I actually agree w Hock about SD guns being reliable w ammo of choice. (Except nothing is 100%)
Don't worry, my post was not directed at anyone in particular. It was just a general Tension reliever\ rant for me to get it out of my system.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #48

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

CMJ, I had some trouble with two Remington rifles last year and after experiencing mixed results with the service reps at Big Green I tracked down the VP of Service Operations responsible for warranty repairs and customer service. I shall send you his contact information in a message.

Last edited by ChicagoJoe; 12-27-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #49

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am a police armorer. I have even seen the extraction issues with the 870P. We have tried just about every trick in the book and on certian guns the problem still exist. These guns range from 1994 manf. to 2010. Seems that it is more luck of the draw than anything.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 590 Posts
Likes Given: 444

Why would anyone think that a 300 dollar long gun, retail, will be totally reliable or have the best fit and finish available?

Neither Remington nor any other manufacturer can make a bottom dollar gun of any kind that's equivalent to something that costs 50% to 100% more.

I have a 870 Police model and have never had a problem with it. The action is smooth, it locks up properly, and it cycles everything I feed it. I mostly use 00 buck and slugs, but I do shoot other types of shot through it. I've handled and shot enough 870 Express models to know that they were designed as hunting guns, not defense guns. The actions were rough, the cycling was not 100%, and the design was, of course, not suitable for defense.

Why purchase the 870 Express when the cost of upgrading one is equivalent to the purchase of the 870 Police?

Why do people expect an unpolished blued finish to be as corrosion resistant as Parkerizing or Meloniting?

I'm sure Remington would produce 870's with higher quality if that's what the market demanded of them. Unfortunately, many Americans purchase based only on price point. Colt stopped making the Python revolvers because it could not sell them at a competitive price point. That's a real shame because few revolvers had better actions from the factory.

No one is willing to pay for the cost of quality and yet everyone loudly complains about the lack of quality and attention to detail with the new mass-produced arms.