Remington 870 Disappointment - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 Disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If you purchased the gun with a credit card you can always use your buyers protection. I had problems with Kel Tec jerking me around. After a conference call with a consumer advocate from my credit card company Kel Tec had my pistol back to me in two weeks, after jerking me around for five months.

Anytime I purchase a gun NIB or a used gun with a warranty I use my credit card. If you pay cash you have no advocate. You are on your own!

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-11-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #32

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 249

You could look at buying a used barrel off of someone or checking your local sporting goods stores such as Dicks, Dunhams, Cabelas, Bass Pro etc. They usually carry them.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 327 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 150

I looked at 870s a few years ago and the fit n finish were terrible for the express models. They are rough models. Went back second time and the matte finish was uniform, fit was good, it was night/day comparison.

I prefer 28" barrels or longer. (swings smoother) For Remington Express 20 ga - if you want 28" you get synthetic stocks. My first shotgun w/o wood stocks. Jury still out on syn stocks but I did notice more face slap.
Put kick eez on stock - will see if it helps.

Insides were very rough and completely dry. If you want a super smooth pump w good wood n high gloss finish buy a WingMaster and pay the extra $$$. Express is a NO frills, bare bones hunting or SD gun.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Guys,
One final update--and thanks again for the good feedback. I got the new barrel about a week ago, at the same time unfortunately that winter moved in. I shot it four times and it extracted three--so that is alot better than zero out of four with the original barrel! I bought the gun for SD, but until I get better performance I obviously can't use it for that. Hoping that winter will break and I can shoot it again. But I will be very careful about buying any sort of Freedom Group product again. Heard from a reliable source that Remington now has a new army contract so it may be more reason for them to cheapen up quality control for their civilian products. It is a shame with such a good name!

Last edited by cmj685; 12-20-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #35

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

I have a Remington 870 that was bought in the late 90's (express model) that works like a top but my buddy has one bought around 2002 that seems to jam all the time. I assume is has to do with the barrel and the chamber but I also find he racks his slide like my sister... I put some Hoppe's Elite Oil on the dual action rails and it helped smooth it out a lot. I then put a drop of Remoil on my finger tip and rubbed it around in the chamber area of his barrel with great results... Shells slide in and out quite a bit more smoothly and it jams much much less often... Still.. no good for self defense... Mine, thankfully, hasn't missed a beat...

Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #36

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Take Pride!

I'm proud of the last two posters!

Despite owning 870's you aren't pretending they are "good enough" for self defense. A particular defense gun must be proven reliable. Function flawlessly. Period. Not work most of the time. Not almost never fail. If it isn't 100% it isn't a defense gun. And if that's why you have it, and you can't trust it without any doubt, get rid of the 870...

Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #37

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Never had a problem with mine.

A buddy of mine has 1,000 of rounds through his. He has never cleaned it and it stays in his truck tool box. He has also never had a problem.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #38

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Rather than knocking the 870 why not post knowledgeable and constructive remedies to the problem instead of just posting a sort of what appears to be a snob elitist rush saying to to just dump it?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 327 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Default Remedy

I did take mine apart and it was bone dry when I bought it. I took Flitz to the slide rails and oiled them. I also used flitz to polish bolt group n chamber. I was trying to smooth it out but to be brutally honest, it didn't help much that I could tell - smoothness wise. PIA to reassemble 20 ga.

The roughness of the interior was something you could feel w your fingers. I asked my gunsmith if I should try to stone it but he advised against it. He confirmed 20s were PIA to reassemble which made me feel a wee bit better...

He also told me to oil it and then kick back n watch TV and cycle it like a teenager w first gun. This will wear it in & that's about as good as it will get & safer than stoning.

Note: Not classic Wingmaster smooth but it will cycle anything I feed it. Have no issue w calling it a SD gun. Was actually looking for an 18" tube for SD w sights or rifled slug barrel but budget limited. Is it luck of the draw ? Cleaning ? Flitz? Cycling ? Or all of the above. No idea - it just my .02

Last edited by Gonzilla; 12-22-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #40

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have issues with any 870 express. I am used to shooting a Mossberg that I don't have to pull back on the forestock. Recoil ejects the shell and pops the new shell on the loader. I only have to push the forestock forwards. With an 870 I have to pull the forestock back to make the gun cycle. Not adequate! Not to mention the dustcover/loader that gets in my way when topping off. One should not have to take their eyes off the target to top off the magazine.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.