Remington 870 Disappointment
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 Disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Remington 870 Disappointment

First post here. Recently moved to the Rockies from Minnesota where I was a competitive handgun shooter for many years and involved there with the local forum. Been looking forward for a long time to my first shotgun and finally got a Remington 870. First shell out--wouldn't extract. Took it to a local expert, a Remington armorer and gunsite instructor, who has a range and a shop and we fired a bunch of all kinds of different shells. Wouldn't extract any of them including Remington shells. Called Remington and they sent me a label to send it across the country to a gunsmith in Illinois to fix. Got the gun back--still won't extract. Called Remington and they wanted me to send it back to the factory this time. I refused and insisted they send me a new barrel since my armorer had put on two different 870 barrels and both worked flawlessly. They reluctantly agreed. Several weeks later, still no barrel. I have had this brand new gun now for six weeks and have still not been able to use it, and no strong hope for any time soon. I have heard increasingly grim news about new Remington products and I think they are likely true. The last guy I talked to at the factory told me straight out that the older barrels had far less manufacturing problems than the newer barrels and that is likely why the other two barrels worked fine on the gun. Thought that was a striking and revealing comment.

Last edited by cmj685; 11-26-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8508

Welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, drop in at the introductions thread and introduce yourself the the other members.

Have a local gunsmith look at the shotgun. In particular the ejector and the extractor. They may need adjustment, or your bolt may need a thorogh cleaning. I have never heard of a problem like this where the barrel is at fault. Just my $0.02.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

You know I've heard a little about the newer 870's being cheaper in quality and frankly it doesn't surprise me since nothing is made like it used to be. I have an 870 express magnum, id call it newer but it was 12 yrs old when I got it last year in a family trade, never been fired or even put together. I've noticed that sometimes mine won't extract an empty.

Is yours extracting the empty from the barrel but failing to kick it out of the receiver? Or is it failing to extract all together?

I've got two barrels for mine, the barrel that came with it (28in rib vented with screw in choke) and an older barrel that was cut off that I use for slugs. It seems to do it with both barrels.

I haven't had mine looked at as it doesn't do it very often.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #4

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

I have a Remington 870 express. Its brand new or at least its never been fires before I bought it. I put 150 shells through no problem both winchester and Remington shells. I agree that it might be the extractor/wjwctor combo not the barrel

Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

My 870 bought new two years ago had the exact same problem on the second and third rounds right out of the box. Whatever the problem was it self corrected and haven't had a problem since. I carry my cleaning rod with me though so if it happens again I can push the fired shell out if the barrel! I suspect it's an extractor problem.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #6

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default I told ya so!

I've been telling you people this for years and the 870 Rambos and Remington owners who have a psychological investment in not looking foolish will jump up and down, argue, and make every excuse they can as though they were on the assembly line...

Remington 870's, at least, have turned to poop over the decades. It couldn't be more obvious! The maker is more concerned with buying commercial advertisements than making a simple gun (w/inherent flaws).

With any luck the OP will get a new 870 barrel drop-shipped from Mossberg!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 11-26-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #7

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

The 870's quality is diminishing quickly. Get yourself a Mossy as Hocka mentioned. Or maybe a Wingmaster from 15 years ago, if you really like 870s.

-Matt

Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #8

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

Horse hockey. Some Remington 870 barrels have chambers that are not as smooth as they should be. That hardly makes all Remingtons junk. Yours sounds like it has a really bad case. Either hone the chamber, or get on the phone and ask to speak to a manager in customer service and make them take care of it. I had had excellent customer service from Remington over the years, but from what i hear that has deteriorated somewhat if you talk to the wrong person. I have seen a couple of these, and either honing the chamber or replacing the barrel fixed the problem. The newer steel base shells often exacerbate the issue. I have seen 870, Mossbergs, Novas, and even a BPS being beat of the ground to extract those.
I have seen several cracked stocks on Browning O/Us, but I don't think that makes all Brownings junk. Beretta has had carrier issues for years, but they can be fixed and they are not all junk either.
I feel no more compunction to defend Remingtons than Hockalouis does to condemning them. Opinions are just that. I do not own an Express, as I do not do flat black or plastic on shotguns.

What could have happened... did.

People Like This 
Old 11-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #9

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian
as I do not do flat black or plastic on shotguns.
Finally someone that understands. I simply can't stand polymer stock on a shotgun, or matte finish.

-Matt

Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #10

Liked 634 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

Remington up's their production every year, without extending deadlines. The end result is an increase in undesirable products.

Buy a Mossberg 835 and be happy.