Remington 870 Castle NUT not coming off - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 Castle NUT not coming off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #21
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1577 Times on 964 Posts
Likes Given: 8154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Or..........

Each 870 has forend wrench built in.

Remove the forend tube assembly and as it comes out of the receiver the breech bolt will of course fall off the slide. That slide fits perfectly into the notch in the forend tube nut. If the forend tube nut is on there to tight use some channel locks or pliers on the slide for leverage untill the nut is broke loose then you can simply twist it with your hand to remove the nut.
I will have to try that out myself. If it works, I will be kicking myself in the azz for buying an unnecessary tool.

Oh wait, there is no such thing as an unnecessary tool!

BTW, Great suggestions ther AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Righty tighty, lefty loosey.
LOL! Now wait a minute there Squawk. Are you sure it's not revese threaded? In that case it would be Righty loosey, lefty tighty.

J\K. I've had mine apart several times before. You're right.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Oh wait, there is no such thing as an unnecessary tool! ...
I beg to differ.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #23
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I beg to differ.

Thanks 'Gello, I forgot about him, Cuomo, and Feinsien.

Come to think of it, there are a few hundred using up valuable air in D.C. and every state capitol.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Tried wd-40, no luck, Thanks all for the suggestions. Is penetrating oil worth it or is it time for this kick ass magpul product to go back in the box? I am really bummed about it. The reason I bought it was to hook my flashlight up to it. Is there another solution for mounting a rail flashlight to a remington 870? Thanks all and btw, the shotgun is used but brand new condition and the threads MAY be loctited

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Tried wd-40, no luck, Thanks all for the suggestions. Is penetrating oil worth it or is it time for this kick ass magpul product to go back in the box? I am really bummed about it. The reason I bought it was to hook my flashlight up to it. Is there another solution for mounting a rail flashlight to a remington 870? Thanks all and btw, the shotgun is used but brand new condition and the threads MAY be loctited
If it is blue locktited, try getting a something like a large washer to place over the castle nut, and tap it with a hammer. Sometimes lock-tite things with blue needs a good whack to break the lock. If it is red lock-tite, then lots of heat will be needed, probably enough to melt the previous forend

Old 05-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

As for another option to mount the light up to, they make things like this I have seen.
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/flashlight-mounts/tactical-shotgun-mount-prod1537.aspx

Old 05-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #27

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx View Post
Mossberg fanboy?
I didn't even mention Mossberg. A fanboy is someone who defends poor product decisions too ya know. Maybe even after complaining about them, their bad design, their questionable parts, their third-world-class customer service...

The fanboys are the 870 Express apologists who must have what they feel is a significant financial investement in their cut-rate gun that they can't get over. Also an emotional one including deep-rooted buyer's regret plus being conflicted about foisting it upon some other unsuspecting buyer.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-26-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #28
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I didn't even mention Mossberg. A fanboy is someone who defends poor product decisions too ya know. Maybe even after complaining about them, their bad design, their questionable parts, their third-world-class customer service...

The fanboys are the 870 Express apologists who must have what they feel is a significant financial investement in their cut-rate gun that they can't get over. Also an emotional one including deep-rooted buyer's regret plus being conflicted about foisting it upon some other unsuspecting buyer.
Quick question Hocka. If there have been absolutely no problem with both of the Mossberg 500s my wife and I have and have had, and both of the Remington 870 Express Magnums that belong to my daughter and me, what does that say about their quality? All 4 of these shotguns (my 500 was passed on to someone who needed it for his son, still going strong after 22 years) had a couple thousand rounds through them, and all 4 are still functioning perfectly. Maybe this is because I know how to maintain them, and most of the folks who have purchased these models in the past are lax about maintenance. Maybe I have just been lucky. Or maybe, Both are of comperable quality. As with everything mass produced, there will be lemons that pop up from time to time, but I have to respectfully disagree with you asessment of the brand. I have not experienced any problems with the 870, and only 1 with my old 500.

That one's problem was mostly me, and not the shotgun. L\H firing due to R\H eye's vision loss, my size and short fingers made the 500 not feel right to me when I shot it. That is why it wnet to my friend for his son. It worked better for him. So please explain to my how I am defending a "poor product decision". Am I also grouped as one of these "apollogists who has deep seated buyers remorse" when I have not complained about my 870, or my old 500 when it comes to build quality? Not trying to be a d!ck, and I do apollogize if I come across that way, but I do honestly feel that every make of gun, car, truck, TV, DVD player, ETC. all have the same problem 9 times out of 10. That problem is the end user more often than not.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #29

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

kfox75, if you don't have a problem with your 870's (just as I haven't with my Wingmaster's except for a broken firing pin) then it doesn't apply to you. But why would you, and I see you have a barnacle there, ignore everyone else's complaints about the current Express'? Chiming in with unrelated defenses is silly.

I am confident in saying that Remington 870 Express problems outnumber all other popular shotgun design, manufacture, and reliability issues COMBINED. How much more obvious could it be if you are a shotgunner or even just a below-average intelligence troll of these forums?

"My Grandad's" or "my 870 always worked" is a defensive owner's misdirection. They sell more Mossberg 500's than Remington 870's today. That's partly because of the problems and where do the problems continue to appear? Clearly and overwhelmingly with the 870's. Why does the clear truth bother people who spent $300 so much?

Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #30
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
kfox75, if you don't have a problem with your 870's (just as I haven't with my Wingmaster's except for a broken firing pin) then it doesn't apply to you. But why would you, and I see you have a barnacle there, ignore everyone else's complaints about the current Express'? Chiming in with unrelated defenses is silly.

I am confident in saying that Remington 870 Express problems outnumber all other popular shotgun design, manufacture, and reliability issues COMBINED. How much more obvious could it be if you are a shotgunner or even just a below-average intelligence troll of these forums?

"My Grandad's" or "my 870 always worked" is a defensive owner's misdirection. They sell more Mossberg 500's than Remington 870's today. That's partly because of the problems and where do the problems continue to appear? Clearly and overwhelmingly with the 870's. Why does the clear truth bother people who spent $300 so much?
Hocka. If I came across as a troll, I apologize. Not my intent. I just get defensive when, even in a roundabout way, my choices or beliefs are lumped in with other's "poor choices". Kind of took it personal is all. I think we can agree to disagree on this. The evidence that I have gone by is my experience, and the experiences of those around me, all of which have been positive when it comes to the folks that I know, who own 500s, 835s, 11-87s, and 870s. from where I stand all of them are well built and reliable, and have worked every time that were needed. That is what my feelings on this are based on.

I will also say that I do not know anyone in my local area who has recently bought a brand new 870, as in, within the last 2 years. I can also say the same for the 500. As I said above, I can only speak of what I have seen and what I know.

As I said above, not trying to troll, and I am sorry if I can across as such. I was just defending against what I felt was also a slam against me, and my own choices. I hope we can agree to disagree. Truce?

axxe55 Likes This