Remington 870 action bar lock question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Remington 870 action bar lock question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington 870 action bar lock question

I just purchase this shotgun and am wondering about the proper performance of the action bar lock. The fore end can be pulled rearward without engaging the lock. Once it is cocked it must be engaged. Is this correct? Obviously this is my first shotgun.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2010, 05:41 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjliver View Post
I just purchase this shotgun and am wondering about the proper performance of the action bar lock. The fore end can be pulled rearward without engaging the lock. Once it is cocked it must be engaged. Is this correct? Obviously this is my first shotgun.

Thanks
Assuming that you are referring to the slide release then yes you must use it only when you want to eject a chambered round or when you have cocked the gun with an empty chamber and wish to release the slide. Under normal firing and dry firing circumstances the trigger pull unlocks the slide and there is no need to use the slide release.

It bears mentioning that pulling the trigger should be done with extreme caution with the muzzle in a safe direction...never assume that the gun is unloaded even when you are sure that it is. Many people have been killed with "unloaded" guns.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-18-2010, 05:43 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Please swing on by the Introduction section if you would, so we can know more about you.

As for you question, this does sound correct. Most pump shotguns operate like this. Every time you fire a shot, dry-fire, or pull the trigger with the safety disengaged the action bar lock with disengage so you can freely cock the fore-end to load another round without manually engaging it every shot.
870s are a very good shotgun and the likely-hood of having a malfunction out of the box is extremely slim as they are very well made.
Be sure to follow the safety directions in the firearms manual. Safe trigger control and muzzle pointed in safe direction and always treat the weapon as if its loaded.
Is this your first firearm?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

If you are referring to the slide release as the "Lock", then you are actually releasing the "Lock" when you press the release. The lock is inside and cannot be seen.

I would strongly recommend you read the owner's manual. Believe it or not, it contains valuable information and not just dribble to prevent liability.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Page 8 of the Model 870 Owner's Manual:

TO OPEN THE ACTION:
1. Push upward on the action bar lock. See Picture 4.
2. Pull the fore-end rearward to open the action.

I do believe to OP did read the Owner's Manual, otherwise he wouldn't know to call it the "Action Bar Lock."

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If you are referring to the slide release as the "Lock", then you are actually releasing the "Lock" when you press the release. The lock is inside and cannot be seen.

I would strongly recommend you read the owner's manual. Believe it or not, it contains valuable information and not just dribble to prevent liability.

Brian P.
Oakland, OR

Last edited by Brian P; 04-21-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Wow! Remington uses some screwed up terminology there. I guess they could call it the "shamwow" since it is their product.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball