Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Remington 870 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/remington-870-a-1680/)

UncleBuck 08-14-2007 04:28 PM

Remington 870

I have a remington 870 with rust on the barrel, what would be the best method to remove the rust?

1984cj 08-14-2007 05:13 PM

Heavy Pitted Rust or just a light surface type?
You can use a product called Never Dull to remove light surface rust. Never Dull is a Cotton wad that is impregnated with metal polish and can be found in a small silver can at Kmart and Wal Mart.
Heavier rust can be removed with 0000 steel wool and light oil. This may remove the blueing on the firearm.
Pitting rust you are on your own....

robocop10mm 08-15-2007 12:05 PM

rust

For small pits, I have had good results with a pencil. The graphite will gently scratch away the rust and leave a protective coating.

+1 on the 0000 steel wool and light oil or solvent. The key is to get the steel wool sopping wet and re-wet frequently. Do not apply too much pressure or you can remove the bluing. The rust you are removing is more abrasive than the steel wool so the solvent/oil will flush it away.

If you can find it, brass wool is even better. I think Brownells carries it.

JeffWard 09-20-2007 12:38 AM

If the reciever is fine, and the barrel is bad, Remington makes plenty of extra barrels for 870s. I own three. They are availible online withot the need for a FFL. Ebay has plenty. Contact your local Remington dealer for new.

BTW, I own:
20" Imp Cyl Slug barrel (self def)
20" CUSTOM Full Choke Sighted Barrel (Remington ony made a few for the NYS Troopers
24" Variable choke barrel w/ three choke tubes.

If you're using the fun for hunting, the variable chokes are awesome.

Jeff

Tilt 10-04-2007 03:52 AM

Bad thing about buying a new barrel is you can almost buy a new 870 Express for the price. Try this link, sometimes they have a good deal.
http://barrelexchange.com/

gunsgunsguns 05-17-2009 10:32 PM

Howz it goin fellas?? im new on this site??? and dont no any ting about barrrels!! quick qustion about remington 870 im looking at buying one!!! do u only have to hit the mag relase for the 1st shell or must you acess the mag release (which is in an awkward position) for each individual time u cycle the pump???

Jo da Plumbr 05-17-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunsgunsguns (Post 106823)
Howz it goin fellas?? im new on this site??? and dont no any ting about barrrels!! quick qustion about remington 870 im looking at buying one!!! do u only have to hit the mag relase for the 1st shell or must you acess the mag release (which is in an awkward position) for each individual time u cycle the pump???

Welcome 3guns.

After the trigger has been pulled the action can be cycled without use of the release tab. There should be an owners manual if you bought new, or you can get one on line. Good idea to read the manual with any new firearm.

Mark F 05-18-2009 11:07 AM

I would highly recommend AFTER you buff down your barrel with 0000 steel wool, clean it with a good solvent and put COLD BLUE on your barrel. This helps prevent future rust problems. Cold Blue only affects the rusted areas...

gunsgunsguns 05-18-2009 06:39 PM

Thanks a million jo da plumber!! oh ill have plenty of time to read up it can tak months to get your gun lisence processed in ireland!! hey i no shiping guns is illigal But would it be illgal to order pump and stock from elswhere if i wanted to change from camo to traditional wood finish???

Jo da Plumbr 05-18-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunsgunsguns (Post 106987)
Thanks a million jo da plumber!! oh ill have plenty of time to read up it can tak months to get your gun lisence processed in ireland!! hey i no shiping guns is illigal But would it be illgal to order pump and stock from elswhere if i wanted to change from camo to traditional wood finish???

Gun laws differ and I have no idea about Irish laws. Here in California where I live you can order any parts for a California legal gun, shipped straight to your house. The main frame, called a receiver, has to be ordered through a dealer and registered. The receiver is where the serial number is stamped.