Rem Vs Moss - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Rem Vs Moss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #41
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the Maverick model 88 is an economy version of the Mossberg Model 500. i bought one last year in pretty decent shape for $120 at my LGS. i owned another one several years ago and liked it. they are a decent pump shotgun, not bad, just not great. i bought it mainly as cheap shotgun for the wife to be able to take care snakes if she needed to. most of the parts and accessories for the M500 will interchange with the M88 too.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #42

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm reposting a post I made on another site when I was deciding between the Rem 870 and the Moss 500.

As for the OP (and I hate to put it is way) it seems like the majority of your posts regarding which weapon to buy lacks any analysis if what you're looking for and why. It's impossible to get good advice on what weapon to buy when you give no details on what it's intended use is. (and hell, you can even say which one looks cooler. You'll get a lot of crap over that, but ppl could help you make a decision based on the coolness-factor -- not saying that's your rationale, but the point is that to make a good analysis, you need to know what criteria you're working with.

So, if you don't even know the "why", then you shouldn't be worried about the "which one", yet.

My criteria:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda
So I'm going to buy a one-shotgun-does-it-all for Hog Hunting and for Home Defense. However, I'm a realist and I suppose that this gun will likely never be shot in a true defensive role, but I want it to be able to fill that role, if it should ever come to that. And it's far more likely to be used in other sporting pursuits.
  • I know that I want a 12 g, pump action
  • I know that I don't want to spent a lot
  • I know that I will hunt hog with it
  • I know that I will target shoot at the range with it
  • I think that I've narrowed it down to a Remington 870 Super Magnum model
  • I think that I may shoot trap or skeet or 3 gun (this is far more likely than actually defending my home)
  • I may use it to hunt duck or turkey in the future (this is still more likely than defending my home)

A simpler way of answering this is: If you were in my situation, given my criteria, what would you buy? (And why?)
My decision:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knfxda
Let me preface my decision by saying that all firearm decisions are compromises. There is no one "best", just what one perceives will work best for them.

I chose to buy the Mossberg 500 Combo from Dick's for $349.

I chose the 500 because:
  • I like the placement of the safety better on the Mossberg
  • I like the placement of the Action Release better on the Mossberg
  • The fit (length of pull) was better for me with the Mossberg
  • The 500 came with a cheekpad (the Remington didn't) that felt good
  • $150 cheaper than the combo Remington (for this I can get a Red Dot Site, a hard case, and plenty of ammo)

As for the Remington:
  • It doesn't have the looseness in the fore-end that the Mossberg has
  • It came with a better scope (although I have no plans on using the scope and would upgrade it if I did)

Ultimately, the advantages of the Mossberg (location of controls, fit, and price) couldn't be overcome by the incremental better quality of the Remington for me.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 05-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #43
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Knfxda, well said. very good advice. it is hard to make an informed decision about something and make good suggestions if the person hasn't a clue as to why they want something. i think it soemthing everyone should thought to when say i want this or that without a clue themselves of the intended purpose other than they think it's cool. IMO it's cool is the worst reason to buy something.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar

hunt ? what zombies? bigfoots? a hd or tac gun is what it is a hunting shotgun is what it is and a clays gun is a whole different beast
I still hunt with my tac, the original wood stock cracked so input the extendable pistol grip on and shops clays just as good as my made in Belgium browning light 12. I just love how smooth the 870 operates. But the light 12 is my favorite over my 870s 1100 and 1187. Really want an 887 nitro mag next tho.
image-1194938631.jpg  

Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #45

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharyder369

I still hunt with my tac, the original wood stock cracked so input the extendable pistol grip on and shops clays just as good as my made in Belgium browning light 12. I just love how smooth the 870 operates. But the light 12 is my favorite over my 870s 1100 and 1187. Really want an 887 nitro mag next tho.
I had a very trusted friend buy and then quickly sell his 887. I had been thinking of getting one myself until that happened.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #46

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharyder369

I've shot the 887 and I wasn't impressed at all

Old 05-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #47

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
I have a tip for you. Work on your spelling, grammar, and punctuation before attempting to be a smartass.
you speak true i cant spell . never paid any attention to that puncation stuff. and grammer passed in 64 rest her soul . just calling you out on your boast open offer back it up(dmn i hope im not talking to george digweed)

Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #48

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar

you speak true i cant spell . never paid any attention to that puncation stuff. and grammer passed in 64 rest her soul . just calling you out on your boast open offer back it up(dmn i hope im not talking to george digweed)
Sorry I don't speak that language.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #49

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Sorry I don't speak that language.
i know....

Old 05-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5726 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 5161

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
This comment is not meant to be disrespectful, but rather helpful.

There are night classes in grammar offered in most communities. It is much easier to make a point if that point is presented properly.

Grammar isn't difficult to learn, with proper instruction, and it will stand you better stead with most other folks.

Winston Churchill