Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Rem. Model 29

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default Rem. Model 29

I just got a Remington Model 29 and would like to do a thorough cleaning on it. I need any information available on the gun including disassembly,age,value,and shootability.
Any assistance would be appreciated, THANKS

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7564 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Well, Gun Trader's Guide lists a 29A as made from 1929-1933, exc cond about $350. Pump, no rib. If you go to the Remington Website, customer service, you can request an owner's manual. They have just sent me a manual on a couple of different older rifles. Free. I like Remmies, and would probably shoot it, but parts may be hard to come by if something does break. How shootable is yours? Don't know- you are holding it too far from the computer for me to tell.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #3

It looks very shootable. The only things I can see wrong with it are 2 small splits where the butt attaches to the receiver and 1 scratch on the butt. all are easily fixed. I would never believe it was that old. Remington search found no results.I dont know how to tell how far down the threads the poly choke has to be on before it starts to adjust. Bluing is at least 95%. The action seens to be smooth. If you hold the trigger it will fire when the action is locks in so you can hold the trigger and pump your shots off. I am trying to figure out how or if the barrel comes off. I can work the locking mechanism but can't move the barrel.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/members/dteed4094/albums/my-guns/700-mod-29-rem-12-ga.jpg

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Last edited by dteed4094; 12-25-2009 at 05:36 AM.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #4

I finally received Info from Remington this morning. It kinda made me feel stupid about breaking the Model 29 down, it took about 20 seconds once I read the manual. It also gave me simple instructions on how to tighten the barrel to the receiver. There are provisions built into the gun for this. I broke it down, tightened the barrel, and epoxied two very minor splits in the stock (which are common to this design) in about 20 minutes. I now am very confident that it a safe, well built,very useable gun aside from a few small desigh flaws that really don't have anything to do with shootability, this is a nice gun with no doubt a long history of use. The book says the comes with a 26,28 30 or 32 inch barrel but this is a 24 inch barrel with a poly choke that there is no mention of. I have reason to believe it may be a law enforcement version but have no way of substanciating this. The man that sold to my dad had a brother that was a LEO and had given the gun to him. All I need now is to find an origional butt plate and the gun will be how it was ment to be. It has an after market recoil pad installed on it now.