Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Rem. 870 Questions on Tube & Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rem. 870 Questions on Tube & Barrel

I'm looking to make my first shotgun one that I really appreciate.

First off, I will be getting a Remington 870 Synthetic (Most likely a "7 Shot" model, depending on the upgrades I decide on)

Second, I won't be "tacticooling" my 870.

Okay, now that those issues are out of the way, has anyone ever upgraded their 870 to have a 8 round (2 3/4 shell) tube?

If so, what was the minimum barrel length you needed so that the tube was still shorter or equal to the barrel length?

I'm a big, 6'4" brick wall type of build, so I feel the 18" barrel is a little short, and I was wondering if barrels come in any length, like 22", which is what I would need to fit 8 2.75" shells. A 24 inch barrel is also acceptable, but my primary use for this gun will be home defense (Rural area, 00 Buck is likely), and just for the sake of shooting/Supporting my second amendment right.

I'm pretty set on 8 shells, because that means 7 3", or 6 3.5", which is really appealing to me.

Summary;
Does anyone have experience with 8 round tubes, on 'shorter' barreled shotguns?

Where is a good place to find magazine tubes?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2008, 05:14 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you don't have to "tacti-cool" your shotgun, but many of the tactical options make sense for home defense. Plus, you can have the mag tube stick out a bit past the muzzle without an issue.

What I would do, is get the 18" model. A 6'4" guy can still handle it easily, and it is MUCH easier to swing a shorter barrel around inside a house than a longer barrel is. Plus, I've used my 18" to shoot clays at the range with much success, so it doesn't have to be "only" a home defense tool. I wouldn't hunt with it or do skeet competition with it, but it can be a fun firearm as well...

Now, the few things that could be important for defense are:

1.) a DEPENDABLE model, which the rem 870 is!
2.) a competition style safety, which is much easier to push in the dark, when you are woken up by an intruder. They are easy to install and are cheap.
3.) several shells. You probably won't need more than 8, but more is always better. If you have not dispatched you unwanted house guest by the first few shots, you will be in for a REAL battle.
4.) short barrel, easy to move around with. Homes have short shooting distances, and halls and corners don't work well with a 22" or longer barrel.

Now, there are a few items that can help, like a flashlight mount, a pistol grip, and they specifically make an end cap for the 870 mag tube that has a laser built in. Nothing quite like a laser-guided shotgun to help you aim quickly and scare the poop out of your target!

A few things that you don't need for home defense: synthetic stock, camo colors, etc. Some things look cool, but don't help performance in the home.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #3

Remington makes a 21" bbl for the 870. A tube ext even with the muzzle will easily give 8+1 capacity.

I make high quality custom length tube ext for the 870 that no other tube ext manufacture offers. If you decide to go that route I can help you out.

I make a 7+1 tube ext for the new 18.5" bbl 870 shotguns that is even with the muzzle.

GC

Old 09-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
Remington makes a 21" bbl for the 870. A tube ext even with the muzzle will easily give 8+1 capacity.

I make high quality custom length tube ext for the 870 that no other tube ext manufacture offers. If you decide to go that route I can help you out.

I make a 7+1 tube ext for the new 18.5" bbl 870 shotguns that is even with the muzzle.

GC
I'm interested to know more about the 7+1, and if it will fit the 1100 as well... Here is my tac-2 with a 6+1, but I'd prefer a 7+1 on it.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #5

janikphoto:

Nice looking shotgun. My extension will fit your 1100.

Looks like you have a 18" bbl because the factory tube ext extends past the muzzle 3/8". My 7+1 extension will ext past the muzzle on your shotgun the same length. It is even with the muzzle on the new 870 shotgun with 18.5" barrels. Other after market tube ext are 5/8" too short on the new 18.5" bbls and only allow 6+1 capacity.

Here is a picture of one of my 7+1 tube ext on a 18.5" bbl Express. It is a one piece steel tube ext.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 09-05-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
janikphoto:

Nice looking shotgun. My extension will fit your 1100....

GC

So, how much, and how do I go about getting one?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #7

Just give me an email.

GC