rem. 870 jamming

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > rem. 870 jamming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default rem. 870 jamming

ok, let me start by saying i am very new to firearms so this may seem like a dum question. i was shooting clays with my remington 870 12ga. today and it kept jamming. every 5 rounds at least one would get stuck. i couldnt pull the for-end back. i would have to wiggle it for a while to get it to eject the shell. i'm sure its something simple (i hope) but has anyone had this problem before? also, are there any websites that tells how to take apart and clean this gun. i dont know how to take it apart. (that was hard to admit) im sure after two boxes of clays its due for a good cleaning.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2831 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Default jamming

What kind of ammo? What did the hulls look like after you got them out? I would look at two things, Detail cleaning or bad ammo. If the brass cracked in the chamber or had some corrosion it can be hard to extract.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #3

as far as ammo i was using winchester "super speed" or something like that i dont remember for sure. my friend said it was low brass (whatever that means) and it didnt work well in his gun. but his gun didnt jam up either. the hulls looked fine, everything looked normal. could it be that something is loose in my gun?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #4

Let us know if you get the same result after cleaning or using different amo.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:14 PM   #5

ok, i will, thaks

Old 09-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
as far as ammo i was using winchester "super speed" or something like that i dont remember for sure. my friend said it was low brass (whatever that means) and it didnt work well in his gun. but his gun didnt jam up either. the hulls looked fine, everything looked normal. could it be that something is loose in my gun?
"low brass" simply means that it is a "light" load, not much powder...as opposed to "high brass" which are "heavy" loads, with more poweder.

anyway, "low brass" or "high brass" should not matter with a pump shotgun since you are using your own force to work the receiver and eject and load shells. some automatics have a bit of trouble with the lightest loads. since many semi-autos use the gas from the detonation of the powder to work the action, the lighter loads do not have enough gas, or power, to work the action fully and that can leave you with a hull not getting ejected all the way, or the new shell not getting loaded in the chamber correctly.

however as someone pointed out, bad ammo (read very cheap) can produce more "crud" that can begin to get into all the nooks and crannies.

a good cleaning is probably all you need, then again it is possible that something could be bent or malfunctioning.

Who are the militia? They consist of the whole people, except for a few public officials.
-George Mason, Framer of the Declaration of Rights, Virginia, 1776 , which became the basis of the U.S. Bill of Rights

Old 09-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #7

thanks for the info. i guess my friend doesnt know all that much about guns either. i havent had a chance to shoot (or clean) my gun again yet thanks to work, but ill give it a good cleaning and take it to the range again and see how it does. thanks guys!!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Take a bore snake with you to the range, then you can run it through and keep your barrel fairly clean while you're sighting in. Still need to do a good cleaning after you're done, like with real gun oil.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had that happen to me several years ago. As it turned out, after working the action to chamber a round, I would keep pressure on the forearm, pulling slightly toward the back of the gun. When I fired the round, the backward pressure caused the slide-action to jam. A simple way to see if you are doing the same thing I did, next time you shoot use a rest, or simply lay the fore end on your palm and don't grip it.

Good luck.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-04-2007, 03:57 AM   #10

I would give it a good cleaning first. I have had the shells made with Aluminum, instead of brass, swell up a little making them kinda tight to eject.