Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   rem. 870 jamming (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/rem-870-jamming-1867/)

huckleberry 09-01-2007 07:18 PM

rem. 870 jamming

ok, let me start by saying i am very new to firearms so this may seem like a dum question. i was shooting clays with my remington 870 12ga. today and it kept jamming. every 5 rounds at least one would get stuck. i couldnt pull the for-end back. i would have to wiggle it for a while to get it to eject the shell. i'm sure its something simple (i hope) but has anyone had this problem before? also, are there any websites that tells how to take apart and clean this gun. i dont know how to take it apart. (that was hard to admit):o im sure after two boxes of clays its due for a good cleaning.

robocop10mm 09-02-2007 12:27 PM

jamming

What kind of ammo? What did the hulls look like after you got them out? I would look at two things, Detail cleaning or bad ammo. If the brass cracked in the chamber or had some corrosion it can be hard to extract.

huckleberry 09-04-2007 07:16 PM

as far as ammo i was using winchester "super speed" or something like that i dont remember for sure. my friend said it was low brass (whatever that means) and it didnt work well in his gun. but his gun didnt jam up either. the hulls looked fine, everything looked normal. could it be that something is loose in my gun?

TheYellowDark 09-06-2007 07:04 PM

Let us know if you get the same result after cleaning or using different amo.

huckleberry 09-06-2007 07:14 PM

ok, i will, thaks

UnBound 09-06-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huckleberry (Post 7853)
as far as ammo i was using winchester "super speed" or something like that i dont remember for sure. my friend said it was low brass (whatever that means) and it didnt work well in his gun. but his gun didnt jam up either. the hulls looked fine, everything looked normal. could it be that something is loose in my gun?

"low brass" simply means that it is a "light" load, not much powder...as opposed to "high brass" which are "heavy" loads, with more poweder.

anyway, "low brass" or "high brass" should not matter with a pump shotgun since you are using your own force to work the receiver and eject and load shells. some automatics have a bit of trouble with the lightest loads. since many semi-autos use the gas from the detonation of the powder to work the action, the lighter loads do not have enough gas, or power, to work the action fully and that can leave you with a hull not getting ejected all the way, or the new shell not getting loaded in the chamber correctly.

however as someone pointed out, bad ammo (read very cheap) can produce more "crud" that can begin to get into all the nooks and crannies.

a good cleaning is probably all you need, then again it is possible that something could be bent or malfunctioning.

huckleberry 09-07-2007 07:30 PM

thanks for the info. i guess my friend doesnt know all that much about guns either. i havent had a chance to shoot (or clean) my gun again yet thanks to work, but ill give it a good cleaning and take it to the range again and see how it does. thanks guys!!

BunnyWabbit 09-12-2007 08:30 PM

Take a bore snake with you to the range, then you can run it through and keep your barrel fairly clean while you're sighting in. Still need to do a good cleaning after you're done, like with real gun oil.

pioneer461 09-19-2007 07:41 PM

I had that happen to me several years ago. As it turned out, after working the action to chamber a round, I would keep pressure on the forearm, pulling slightly toward the back of the gun. When I fired the round, the backward pressure caused the slide-action to jam. A simple way to see if you are doing the same thing I did, next time you shoot use a rest, or simply lay the fore end on your palm and don't grip it.

Good luck.

Tilt 10-04-2007 03:57 AM

I would give it a good cleaning first. I have had the shells made with Aluminum, instead of brass, swell up a little making them kinda tight to eject.