Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Rem 870 convert to Tactical back to bird gun..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rem 870 convert to Tactical back to bird gun..

I have a Rem 870 Super Mag. I want to convert it to a tactical gun but change it back to a bird gun if needed. I want to install a mag tube and maybe a different stock. I have read you have to grind down the detents in the mag tube to install the longer magazine tube. With that done can you change it back to hold just 3 rounds. I have read mixed reviews on it and no one has really given me a good answer. I could buy me another Rem 870 but I already have all the parts to change it to a tactical shotgun. So I thougt about just swapping it out and then if I wanted to go Dove hunting I could change it back.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Why not just remove the plug in the tube that restricts your shotty to 3 shells so you can hold 5 then replace it for dove hunting?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Some remmy shottys have detents in the mag tube that act as a plug. When you want to carry more than 2 rounds in the mag you have to drill those detents out. If you did that and wanted to change it back to a legal field gun you would need to cut a piece of wooden dowel to block the mag tube so it will only hold two rounds. No biggie, that is how my 1100 is and my mossy 590.

Hope this helps you out.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

My 500 came with a wooden plug, but that was years ago....now, where did I put that plug....oh well. Nevermind.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!