Release Trigger Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Release Trigger Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Release Trigger Question

I have a friend who owns a Browning Citori over under with a release trigger. My understanding is that a release trigger is for shooting sporting clays and need to fire two rounds in rapid succession. When you first pull the trigger nothing happens. Then when you release the trigger the gun fires. Then finally the second round can be fired on the next pull of the trigger. This allows two quick shots with a release, then a pull.

Is this correct oris there another reason for a release trigger? Has anyone here ever used one? What are your thoughts? Do you purchase the gun this way or is this only done by a gunsmith after you purchase the gun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #2

Release triggers are used in trap and skeet for shooters who are prone to flinch and thus may stop or slow their swing causing a missed target. The release trigger has been found to be helpful in keeping shooters from flinching. Don't ask me how it does this, it just does. AFAIK, it has nothing to do with getting off rapid shots in sporting clays. A gunsmith usually has to install it, and the gun has to be clearly marked as having a releast trigger for liability reasons.
ct

Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

^ this is exactly correct. The release trigger is used to create a smoother shot and bypass any flinch or jerking the trigger when the bird is on the sights.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys for the info. Sounds like that's not what I need.