Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Reducing recoil (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/reducing-recoil-91670/)

VazDaGoon 06-03-2013 03:33 AM

Reducing recoil

So I finally took my mav 88 to the range. Do you guys have any suggestions in regards to reducing the recoil? Should I get a recoil pad or just buy a whole new stock? What's the best product I can buy in terms of longevity?

Jpyle 06-03-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VazDaGoon (Post 1266060)
So I finally took my mav 88 to the range. Do you guys have any suggestions in regards to reducing the recoil? Should I get a recoil pad or just buy a whole new stock? What's the best product I can buy in terms of longevity?

Reducing it to what...it's a 12 gauge shotgun and the kick is pretty much non-negotiable. If you are just shooting at paper try a lighter load like target loads if the range permits it. A recoil pad isn't going to tame the recoil, just make it take longer to bruise your shoulder. :p

JonM 06-03-2013 04:02 AM

Limbsaver type recoil pad helps its the cheapest easiest and pretty effective at damping felt recoil. You can combine that with a sissy pad and its pretty damn effective for cheap

Other methids are:
reducing the shot weight
increasing gun weight
porting

Reducing shot weight is pretty much using lighter smaller shot at slower velocity

Increasing gun weight can be anything from adding a longer barrel or heavier stock or drilling out holes under the buttpad and filling in with weights or hanging crap like lights bayonets and such off rail systems.

Porting is the least effective way to go as shotguns are very low pressure so there isnt much force for the ports to use.

Lastly you could trade it in on a smaller gage shotgun.

therewolf 06-03-2013 04:06 AM

Actually a recoil pad, IMO, may help

minimally, if it helps to improve your

Length of Pull.

But, as stated previously, it is, after all,

a shotgun. Tuck it in tight, grip it firmly,

and suck it up. Bear in mind the power

of this firearm, and the benefit of it's use.

Hectocotylus 06-03-2013 04:35 AM

Has anybody had any luck with the recoil reducing stocks that have a spring system to soak up recoil? I would like to do something for my wife and I want to get a six position stock anyway.

nicklarimore 06-03-2013 04:42 AM

What dram is the shot u are using? I would find a light target load and that should help a little. Besides that best bet is a different shotgun. It's amazing the difference you can get between say a hd, field, and clay purpose gun. Mostly because of weight, the heavier the gun the least recoil.

VazDaGoon 06-03-2013 05:57 AM

I guess I'll get a limbsaver just because its cheap and hope for the best. Ill also compliment that with different ammo.

c3shooter 06-03-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Has anybody had any luck with the recoil reducing stocks
They are guaranteed (to reduce the amount of money in your pocket)

akers06 06-03-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1266085)
Limbsaver type recoil pad helps its the cheapest easiest and pretty effective at damping felt recoil. You can combine that with a sissy pad and its pretty damn effective for cheap

I second the limbsaver recoil pad...I never pack a gun into the Turkey woods without one

Anna_Purna 06-03-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hectocotylus (Post 1266114)
Has anybody had any luck with the recoil reducing stocks that have a spring system to soak up recoil? I would like to do something for my wife and I want to get a six position stock anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1266181)
They are guaranteed (to reduce the amount of money in your pocket)

They are junk. What you pay for them they should work a lot better than a 30 dollar limbsaver pad, but just plane suk. But they sure look tacticool though. ;)