Red dot sights
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Red dot sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Red dot sights

I have a Mossberg 500 that i'm using for the spring turkey hunt. It will be my first turkey hunt and i want to be prepared for it. I've watched tv shows on this type of hunt, and a lot of the people are using red dot sights, which make me think that they are a very good idea for turkey hunting can anyone tell me whether it is good to have one, and if so is there one that is nice and won't break the bank to buy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I've had a scope or red dot on my Mossberg m500 turkey gun for the last 12 years.
My aftermarket choke shot patterns super tight but not anywhere near where the bead was pointed.
That barrel always did that, don't know why. I went to a saddle type mount and scope and loved it. I used an older simmons pro-diamond 4x for a while with good results. It got loaned out to a relative and never returned

I now use a 30mm Tru-glo red dot I picked up at cabelas for around $60. I've shot many full power 3" #4 Buck and Dead coyote heavy shot loads and also have it mounted it on my AR for around 500rds. Very sturdy, holds zero perfect, decent battery life. Batteries are cheap and available at every drug store and wallyFranchise. Adjusting the point of impact involves a little trial and error, but once zeroed, it doesn't move.
Mounted in a B-Square saddle mount that was $45. Its nice, sturdy and quick detachable, but sits a bit high on the barrel because they're made to be able to see the bead under the mount.
If it is a dedicated turkey gun, Id look for just a weaver rail base that mounts directly to the reciever instead of the saddle style. Allows for a more comfortable head position and should be much cheaper than the saddle version.
my .02

tg8030b_5600-00-008030b.jpg   opplanet-b-square-shotgun-saddle-mount-46500.png  

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The only thing that concerns me about using a red dot for turkey hunting is the fact that you would have to turn on the sight even before you see a turkey. Forget to, and you have to move while the turkey can see you and you won't get a shot. My 20+ year old Mossy still has the bead sights, no scope, no red dot. Just my own personal preference. I know several hunters who like them.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

When hunting I turn on the sight when I start in the morning and off in the evening when I'm done, when turkey hunting when I set up the sight goes on.
Basically when the gun gets loaded, the sight goes on. You wouldn't forget to load would you?

Never made any sense to run around with red dots off. Got buddies that deer hunt like that.
They say they're afraid the batteries will go dead, so they leave them off. Then a deer runs past and they are point shooting at them cause they don't turn their sights on....Does that make any sense
For the price of batteries you could put a fresh one in every morning if you are worried about them going dead, and not break the bank. They are around $2 a piece for CR2032, throw an extra or two in your pack and you will be fine all season. Ive left my cheap tru-glo on for a week and it was still glowing, dimly but usable.
Buy a more expensive brand and the battery life is measured in years

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

That makes sense. I used to have a lower priced red dot on my crossbow. Twice I forgot to turn it off and the battery ran out. I changed it out for a scope for lower light conditions. I've never put a red dot or scope on my old Mossy...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I've had a scope or red dot on my Mossberg m500 turkey gun for the last 12 years.
My aftermarket choke shot patterns super tight but not anywhere near where the bead was pointed.
That barrel always did that, don't know why. I went to a saddle type mount and scope and loved it. I used an older simmons pro-diamond 4x for a while with good results. It got loaned out to a relative and never returned

I now use a 30mm Tru-glo red dot I picked up at cabelas for around $60. I've shot many full power 3" #4 Buck and Dead coyote heavy shot loads and also have it mounted it on my AR for around 500rds. Very sturdy, holds zero perfect, decent battery life. Batteries are cheap and available at every drug store and wallyFranchise. Adjusting the point of impact involves a little trial and error, but once zeroed, it doesn't move.
Mounted in a B-Square saddle mount that was $45. Its nice, sturdy and quick detachable, but sits a bit high on the barrel because they're made to be able to see the bead under the mount.
If it is a dedicated turkey gun, Id look for just a weaver rail base that mounts directly to the reciever instead of the saddle style. Allows for a more comfortable head position and should be much cheaper than the saddle version.
my .02
+1 except I have the sight mounted on a rail (mounted to the top of the receiver) I have run 3" heavy loads through it, including buck/slugs, with no issues. So I went ahead and mounted the same set-up on the wife's 20ga mossy, and it's still going. Keep spare batteries with you, you can leave the scope on all day, with no problems. I'd rather spend the extra buck or two on a fresh battery, than miss the possible shot of a lifetime You can also get the Tru-glo in black or camo now, too.

Slo

Old 03-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #7

I would have to agree that the Truglo 30mm Red Dot Scope is the best for the money. With 11 levels of brightness, windage & elevation adjustments, Weaver-style mounting allows for quick install & removal, waterproof/fogproof, offered in Black & Camo...there's also a deluxe model with some added features if you want to spend more.
Some shotgun manufacturers have the Truglo Red Dot Scope as standard equipment on their Turkey models. Best product for the money definitely-

Usually hunters carry plenty of supplies in their pack, a couple of extra batteries in the pack won't be an issue.