Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Red dot or green dot for mossberg 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default Red dot or green dot for mossberg 500

Hi I was wondering about a decent site for my mossberg 500 after about 200 rounds through it, I have recently purchased an ATI stock. My next purchase is going to be a site for quick aim. I am fair shot at 15-25 yards but when I do shoot at that range I have to take time with the bead site, I was actually considering a ghost ring site but I don't think that is available for the 500. So I just wanted to hear input on which people prefer and if they have had improvement in there target practice. If really appreciate it.

Bedside--- mossberg 500 w/00 buckshot and PDX
Night Stand --- Springfield XD 9mm

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #2

Liked 571 Times on 303 Posts

Not that a shotgun needs it, but I have a red dot and Magpul BUIS on one shotgun. Went way to far on the tacticool side though. My second one has a simple Trijicon Triennium front bead, that's all you need.

image-2228995148.jpg   image-1705534965.jpg   image-2053543471.jpg  

Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #3

Liked 265 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Believe it or not, men are more prone to colorblindness than women. That being said....I see green much more clearer than red. Your decision should be based on how well you see each color, not on anyones preference of color.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #4

Liked 571 Times on 303 Posts

I think the colors sometimes bleed out in the background. Even on my AR's the green washes out when shooting outdoor. For me red dot for out doors and green for home defense. All my sights change retinal colors.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #5

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Don't know about the Mossy, but for the Rem 870 I got a Saddleback Mount that rides on the Receiver. It has a machined typical Weaver Rail to add Scope Rings, Red Dots. Gives about 6" of Rail. The Scope I got is an older Model Bushnell 1x Trophy(long tube) 4 Reticle Red/Green. It's been on my 20ga for 2yrs as a Turkey Gun.
What else is that the Saddleback Mount is made in such a way, that you can also look under a "Bridge" designed under the Rail, to also use your Gun Beads if you choose, or Battery goes out. The sight picture of course is much smaller, but it's doable.
Del

Old 10-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
I think the colors sometimes bleed out in the background. Even on my AR's the green washes out when shooting outdoor. For me red dot for out doors and green for home defense. All my sights change retinal colors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
Don't know about the Mossy, but for the Rem 870 I got a Saddleback Mount that rides on the Receiver. It has a machined typical Weaver Rail to add Scope Rings, Red Dots. Gives about 6" of Rail. The Scope I got is an older Model Bushnell 1x Trophy(long tube) 4 Reticle Red/Green. It's been on my 20ga for 2yrs as a Turkey Gun.
What else is that the Saddleback Mount is made in such a way, that you can also look under a "Bridge" designed under the Rail, to also use your Gun Beads if you choose, or Battery goes out. The sight picture of course is much smaller, but it's doable.
Del
Gunslinger, If it were my shotgun, I would combine the advice in the 2 above posts. Saddleback makes a mount for the model 500 in both 12 and 20 gauge. I have a pair of them for my wife's 20 gauge model 500, one has a burris shotgun scope on it for deer season, the other had a tru-glo red\green dot holographic sight for turkey season. To change them out is as simple as pulling the mounting pins, placing the new one on, pin it in place, and check the zero. Quick, simple, easy.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 10-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1490 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 7349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
Not that a shotgun needs it, but I have a red dot and Magpul BUIS on one shotgun. Went way to far on the tacticool side though. My second one has a simple Trijicon Triennium front bead, that's all you need.
just gotta ask. Does that muzzle brake actually do anything, or is it just cosmetic?

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Trijicon greens show better against a green background than red and especially yellow does. Green also shows better in fading evening and morning light.

This is not true of all elcheapo green dots or red dots. The cheaper dot sights have real difficulty under bright light. In extremely bright light trijicon green is awesome thats why i try and get their optics in green when i need that capability.

Ive got a trijicon acog and accupoint i use for such things.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I'm not sure with a dot sight if red or green make much difference. I have a Vortex Strike Fire that gives you a choice of red or green and my tired old eyes see both about the same. Now with a laser there is a world of difference. In bright daylight the red laser pretty much is worthless but the green is very visible. Normally the human eye sees green better than it does red or so I have read.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 10-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #10

I thought this post was going to be about shotgun reloading powder.
ct

People Like This