Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Red dot or green dot for mossberg 500 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/red-dot-green-dot-mossberg-500-a-98106/)

Gunslingerbarred 10-03-2013 07:31 PM

Red dot or green dot for mossberg 500

Hi I was wondering about a decent site for my mossberg 500 after about 200 rounds through it, I have recently purchased an ATI stock. My next purchase is going to be a site for quick aim. I am fair shot at 15-25 yards but when I do shoot at that range I have to take time with the bead site, I was actually considering a ghost ring site but I don't think that is available for the 500. So I just wanted to hear input on which people prefer and if they have had improvement in there target practice. If really appreciate it.

Sgt_Skrb_25 10-04-2013 03:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not that a shotgun needs it, but I have a red dot and Magpul BUIS on one shotgun. Went way to far on the tacticool side though. My second one has a simple Trijicon Triennium front bead, that's all you need.

Missouribound 10-04-2013 03:25 AM

Believe it or not, men are more prone to colorblindness than women. That being said....I see green much more clearer than red. Your decision should be based on how well you see each color, not on anyones preference of color.

Sgt_Skrb_25 10-04-2013 05:10 AM

I think the colors sometimes bleed out in the background. Even on my AR's the green washes out when shooting outdoor. For me red dot for out doors and green for home defense. All my sights change retinal colors.

Triumphman 10-04-2013 06:17 AM

Don't know about the Mossy, but for the Rem 870 I got a Saddleback Mount that rides on the Receiver. It has a machined typical Weaver Rail to add Scope Rings, Red Dots. Gives about 6" of Rail. The Scope I got is an older Model Bushnell 1x Trophy(long tube) 4 Reticle Red/Green. It's been on my 20ga for 2yrs as a Turkey Gun.
What else is that the Saddleback Mount is made in such a way, that you can also look under a "Bridge" designed under the Rail, to also use your Gun Beads if you choose, or Battery goes out. The sight picture of course is much smaller, but it's doable.
Del

kfox75 10-04-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 (Post 1392164)
I think the colors sometimes bleed out in the background. Even on my AR's the green washes out when shooting outdoor. For me red dot for out doors and green for home defense. All my sights change retinal colors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triumphman (Post 1392175)
Don't know about the Mossy, but for the Rem 870 I got a Saddleback Mount that rides on the Receiver. It has a machined typical Weaver Rail to add Scope Rings, Red Dots. Gives about 6" of Rail. The Scope I got is an older Model Bushnell 1x Trophy(long tube) 4 Reticle Red/Green. It's been on my 20ga for 2yrs as a Turkey Gun.
What else is that the Saddleback Mount is made in such a way, that you can also look under a "Bridge" designed under the Rail, to also use your Gun Beads if you choose, or Battery goes out. The sight picture of course is much smaller, but it's doable.
Del

Gunslinger, If it were my shotgun, I would combine the advice in the 2 above posts. Saddleback makes a mount for the model 500 in both 12 and 20 gauge. I have a pair of them for my wife's 20 gauge model 500, one has a burris shotgun scope on it for deer season, the other had a tru-glo red\green dot holographic sight for turkey season. To change them out is as simple as pulling the mounting pins, placing the new one on, pin it in place, and check the zero. Quick, simple, easy.

kfox75 10-04-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 (Post 1392061)
Not that a shotgun needs it, but I have a red dot and Magpul BUIS on one shotgun. Went way to far on the tacticool side though. My second one has a simple Trijicon Triennium front bead, that's all you need.

just gotta ask. Does that muzzle brake actually do anything, or is it just cosmetic?

JonM 10-04-2013 12:00 PM

Trijicon greens show better against a green background than red and especially yellow does. Green also shows better in fading evening and morning light.

This is not true of all elcheapo green dots or red dots. The cheaper dot sights have real difficulty under bright light. In extremely bright light trijicon green is awesome thats why i try and get their optics in green when i need that capability.

Ive got a trijicon acog and accupoint i use for such things.

string1946 10-04-2013 12:11 PM

I'm not sure with a dot sight if red or green make much difference. I have a Vortex Strike Fire that gives you a choice of red or green and my tired old eyes see both about the same. Now with a laser there is a world of difference. In bright daylight the red laser pretty much is worthless but the green is very visible. Normally the human eye sees green better than it does red or so I have read.

cottontop 10-04-2013 03:55 PM

I thought this post was going to be about shotgun reloading powder.
ct